Arrogant or just plain ignorant - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
What is so interesting about the enraged cycle biased responses to this thread is that NO - ONE has looked at it from an HGV / bus driver's point.
Said drivers are under constant pressure from timetables, delivery / collection schedules, expectations of their managers and customers, tacographs, traffic issues, road works, diversions, rules and regulations of the road etc., etc..
That doesn't absolve them from the requirements to drive safely.

The only thing a group of roadies have to worry about is whether they're going to beat last weeks timing for their chosen route - !

So what?

So what is their problem of going single file for a shortish distance to let an HGV / bus past, even when the conditions are perfectly safe to do so?
Nobody here has suggested they might.

You said, in the very first post here that it was a road on which it is "difficult to overtake".

In that circumstance, it is NOT "perfectly safe" to do so. It makes it far more likely that drivers will try to squeeze past where there isn't really room.

Said drivers are working, the roadies are not.
Totally irrelevant., They have just as much right to be on the road.[/quote]

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
What is so interesting about the enraged cycle biased responses to this thread is that NO - ONE has looked at it from an HGV / bus driver's point.
Said drivers are under constant pressure from timetables, delivery / collection schedules, expectations of their managers and customers, tacographs, traffic issues, road works, diversions, rules and regulations of the road etc., etc..
The only thing a group of roadies have to worry about is whether they're going to beat last weeks timing for their chosen route - !
So what is their problem of going single file for a shortish distance to let an HGV / bus past, even when the conditions are perfectly safe to do so - ?
I was an HGV driver for sixteen years ( can anyone of the cycling bias boast similar - ? If you can't, then your view is completely one sided ). One of the reasons I packed it in was because of traffic conditions; including cycle groups who flatly refused to go single file when it would be much appreciated.
My son is an HGV driver and I asked him yesterday which sort of urban traffic aggravates him the most and without hesitating, he said ( this excluded the fruity explitives he used ) it's the the clods in lycra on fancy bikes because they bunch up and refuse to let him past, even when it's perfectly safe to do so.
So, unless you've similar experience of the issues faced by HGV / bus drivers, go figure.

That only works if the road is wide enough to overtake a single cyclist safely without going into the opposite lane. The OP is about a road that is difficult to overtake on. The riders were on the road for only a few minutes so nobody was badly inconvenienced.

For a cyclist you seem to be lacking knowledge that singling up on a road like that is an invitation for dangerously close passes. Not singling up is good defensive cycling.

The reality is that larger cycling groups are encountered very rarely and then usually at the weekend. They have every right to be on the road and professional drivers know this and the vast majority, in my opinion, respect this and wait patiently for a safe overtaking opportunity. The idea that cyclists refuse to let a HGV past is nonsense and in an urban setting just would not happen.

davidphilips

Veteran
So what is their problem of going single file for a shortish distance to let an HGV / bus past, even when the conditions are perfectly safe to do so - ?
I was an HGV driver for sixteen years ( can anyone of the cycling bias boast similar - ? If you can't, then your view is completely one sided ). One of the reasons I packed it in was because of traffic conditions; including cycle groups who flatly refused to go single file when it would be much appreciated.
My son is an HGV driver and I asked him yesterday which sort of urban traffic aggravates him the most and without hesitating, he said ( this excluded the fruity explitives he used ) it's the the clods in lycra on fancy bikes because they bunch up and refuse to let him past, even when it's perfectly safe to do so.
So, unless you've similar experience of the issues faced by HGV / bus drivers, go figure.
#

Yes worked as a Class 1 driver but still dont agree with either your or your sons views on the cyclists .My take on it is if driving a car/bus hgv whatever and feel under pressure because of a cyclist then its time to stop driving as its only a mater of time before you cause an accident.
As for calling a cyclists clods because they wear lycra and have fancy bikes? Think its not the as you say (roadies were riding two abreast) that have an issue?

Saying all cyclists are clods rather proves my suspicion you had been sent as a sleeper agent. I mistakenly thought you came from the petrol head nutjob camp but LGV is close enough in bile spouting.
You need anger management classes if folk enjoying themselves bother you even now in retirement.
Get back under your bridge.

markemark

Über Member
If you insist on quoting from a post; my son said 'the clods in lycra' and you have inferred that this means all cyclists.
Misquoting doesn't do much for your credibility, especially as you've clearly made an assumption.
I have a problem with ‘the idiots in HGVs’.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well no, because you keep contradicting yourself and changing the description.
  • Is it hard to pass or easy?
  • Were the cyclists travelling at 5mph uphill, 20 mph on the flat or 30mph downhill?
  • How long was the potential delay?
  • Was it safer for the cyclists to remain in front?
  • Where did the cycle land come from and is it real? Which road is it (Norwich has a lot of them)?
  • DId you just want to rant about lycra clad road cyclists?
  • If so, you do realise that this is a form where many of them hang out?
Answers on a postcard to...

@simongt Please answer all of @icowden ’s points above. In particular please provide a google map link to the exact location this occurred. Many thanks in advance.

If you insist on quoting from a post; my son said 'the clods in lycra' and you have inferred that this means all cyclists.
Misquoting doesn't do much for your credibility, especially as you've clearly made an assumption.
As everyone knows every cyclist wears lycra, just like all LGV drivers are knuckledraggers...
You blew your cover as a sleeper, and you've lost the argument, so just get back under the bridge.

brommieinkorea

Old thread, but this level of stupid just yanked my chain. Yes, drove tractor-trailer for over 20 years. Never had bicycles block my path for hardly any time( not English so maybe the cycling is better there) But, unless you were in a motor vehicle, how could you keep up with the traffic to know what was going on ? What is an 18 tonner ? Could that be some sort of straight truck with a GVWR of 36000 lbs? And why isn't this in kilograms ? Why does the situation change as the thread goes on, i.e. the mysterious cycle lane ? WTF. ??

I'm sorry but I side with the OP .
It wouldn't have taken much effort for the 2 cyclists to pull over and let the traffic past . It would have taken less than a minute for the traffic to pass. They could have continued their conversation without the traffic breathing down their necks .
As for being only held up for 2 to 3 minutes I'm sure that people on cycles wouldn't want to follow a lorry carrying animal byproducts for that time .
There needs to be a bit of give and take !
My main source of anger are busses ! They will stop anywhere and at any angle on the roads blocking any means to get by . They are also dirty polluting things !

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My main source of anger are busses ! They will stop anywhere and at any angle on the roads blocking any means to get by . They are also dirty polluting things !

As they carry around 40 times more people than the typical single occupancy car, they have 40x more right to road space.

Or something like that ^_^

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm sorry but I side with the OP .
It wouldn't have taken much effort for the 2 cyclists to pull over and let the traffic past . It would have taken less than a minute for the traffic to pass. They could have continued their conversation without the traffic breathing down their necks .
As for being only held up for 2 to 3 minutes I'm sure that people on cycles wouldn't want to follow a lorry carrying animal byproducts for that time .
There needs to be a bit of give and take !

On a narrow road as described in the OP, an overtake would still require the use of the oncoming lane, so singling up would make little difference other than inviting a close pass.

Top Bottom