Arsenal (an unashamed footie thread)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
User482 said:
Umm, if it's so unimportant, why comment?

That's not what I said. I said far too much importance is placed on it. I don't consider it unimportant. It's a valid sport amongst many others but gets far more attention, time, money, etc. than it deserves. More than that, people take it way too seriously. My son's coach is bereft because they have lost five games in a row, so they get extra training, pep talks, etc. He's six.

zizou

Veteran
Arsenal are great to watch but the Barcelona team of last year (not so sure about this year yet though) were even better. Had the sublime skills but also a hard work ethic and with the central three of Xavi, Iniesta and either Toure or Busquets one of the midfields in modern football. Then in front of them Messi, Eto and Henry werent too bad either!

davidg

i was there last night (as a season ticket holder) and will be at Wolves on Sat...

great run we're on at the moment, but let's judge it at the end of the season, please....

no jinxing!!

U

User482

ChrisKH said:
That's not what I said. I said far too much importance is placed on it. I don't consider it unimportant. It's a valid sport amongst many others but gets far more attention, time, money, etc. than it deserves. More than that, people take it way too seriously. My son's coach is bereft because they have lost five games in a row, so they get extra training, pep talks, etc. He's six.

And how do you decide how much attention a sport should have? Football gets lots of attention because it's popular.

Regarding your son - yes that does sound ridiculous, so have you thought about finding him a different team?

Anyway, this thread was about the quality of Arsenal's play, so it seems a shame to spoil with yet another load of comments about its supposed over-exposure.

PaulB

Legendary Member
dellzeqq said:
has any sporting team ever played with such skill and such panache? Has the word 'team' ever been made flesh so sweetly?

I grew up as a Spurs fan. A distant cousin played for Spurs (although he was a secret Gooner) As a teenager I saw Arsenal as the spawn of Satan. Now they're the flower of youth - a corruscating, shimmering array of talent with one idea - to play beautifully.

And does the commentator (33 seconds) say 'MiniRussi Arshavin'? I do hope so.

All those aestheticians labouring over the word beauty need look no further. M. Wenger has distilled the essence of beauty.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7TOBlUoT5Q

and worth it for the soundtrack alone..

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byMOXiF2j40

There's no doubt they are good to watch and I drool when ever they come to Anfield. It's such a shame they can't turn that skill and ability into trophies. (Cue gruff Lancastrian saying "there's nor room for skill in t' modern garm).

PaulB

Legendary Member
dan_bo said:
They'll win something big in the next couple of years. Fabregas reminds me of a young Scholes, but better.

I have my doubts. I think they almost want to be too pretty. I well remember a game at Anfield where Henry tore Liverpool a new one and it really was a question of "I hope he doesn't embarrass us too much" and incredibly it ended up a Desmond! It was all to do with Henry wanting to score perfect goals instead of just goals and I think that still runs through the team. I'd like to see talent like that rewarded but it seldom is. If they could get some steel and still play that way, then they're on their way.

davidg

robin v persie injured tonight....could be months...

blazed

220lb+
Yes we play the best football, total football. Better than the dutch, brazillians or pretenders like barcelona have ever played. Van persie injured is a blow though 2-3 months apparently, the guy is a pussy and made of glass though so its to be expected.

mangaman

dellzeqq said:
has any sporting team ever played with such skill and such panache? Has the word 'team' ever been made flesh so sweetly?

Yes -the Brazilin side of 1970

OK - slightly different scenario, ie a national team, but they actually won something. Beating Italy 4-1 and the famous sumblime goal of Carlos Alberto.

Aresnal are quite pretty to watch as a neutral (speaking as a league 2 supporting bloke) but no-where near the level of Man U or Chelsea in class

I actually prefer to watch Man U as they compromise between skill and tactics in a perfect package to actually win.

Arsenal's success came when they had a brutal and cynical defense/central midfield. They were famous for their red cards and Wenger's failure to notice any malice and take some mythical high ground.

personally I think Wenger is a hypocryptical pseudointellectual winger although I know that will lead to me being flamed

yello

mangaman said:
personally I think Wenger is a hypocryptical pseudointellectual winger

Defender I thought :biggrin:

I take your point about Man Utd, and think it's a fair one. They do seem to know what they have to do and how to do it. They indulge is skill when they can but certainly aren't afraid to get ugly.

Odd thought innit? The game is won by the team that scores the most goals; a quaint notion but it still holds true. There are no points for artistic merit or style. As much I might think that a team might deserve to win through maintaining possession and hitting neat simple passes, it all actually counts for nothing. It can go in off someone's arse after a miscued hoof, that does count.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mangaman said:
Yes -the Brazilin side of 1970

OK - slightly different scenario, ie a national team, but they actually won something. Beating Italy 4-1 and the famous sumblime goal of Carlos Alberto.
well here's a thing. Up until the current Arsenal side the Brazil 1970 side were my all time favourites. And the Carlos Alberto goal remains my favourite.

Top Bottom