Arsenal (an unashamed footie thread)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
has any sporting team ever played with such skill and such panache? Has the word 'team' ever been made flesh so sweetly?

I grew up as a Spurs fan. A distant cousin played for Spurs (although he was a secret Gooner) As a teenager I saw Arsenal as the spawn of Satan. Now they're the flower of youth - a corruscating, shimmering array of talent with one idea - to play beautifully.

And does the commentator (33 seconds) say 'MiniRussi Arshavin'? I do hope so.

All those aestheticians labouring over the word beauty need look no further. M. Wenger has distilled the essence of beauty.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7TOBlUoT5Q

and worth it for the soundtrack alone..

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byMOXiF2j40

postman

Legendary Member
What have you been drinking?

It's only 09-40.

Melvil

As a gooner it's nice to hear words of praise for the kids (sic). They do have sublime skill but only when they grind out the results and play a bit tough will we win trophies.

U

User482

I still (as a life-long Hammers fan) find it difficult to admit, but Arsenal are by far the most attractive team in the Premier League.

ChrisKH

Guru
As my nine year old said, it's a girls game. Then the six year old hit him with his "Man of the Match" Trophy.

Far too much importance placed on football these days.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ohmigod! I blame Daniel Hannan who, as we all know, is the love-child of Sepp Blatter and Gina Lollobrigida!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I think Postman might be on to something. Or is it the drugs? Not that I mind Daniel Hannan getting the blame for anything...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
They were wonderful last night. Some of their recent performances have brought back memories of that period a few years back when Henry was in his pomp and they were The Unbeatables. But as someone said above, and to quote Clive Dunn, 'they don't like it up 'em'. They need to learn to deal with stolid northern teams that get physical. Then they might win the accolades their sublime talents deserve.

U

User482

[quote name='swee'pea99']They were wonderful last night. Some of their recent performances have brought back memories of that period a few years back when Henry was in his pomp and they were The Unbeatables. But as someone said above, and to quote Clive Dunn, 'they don't like it up 'em'. They need to learn to deal with stolid northern teams that get physical. Then they might win the accolades their sublime talents deserve.[/QUOTE]

I kind of like the fact that they don't. They're purists.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
and the addition of Vermailen has made a big difference to the back. How much did Wenger sell Toure for? £20 million? And how much for Vermailen? £10 million? Why any manager gets in to transfer dealings with Wenger (other than the Sevilla manager who sold him Reyes) is beyond me. It's a recipe for looking silly

yello

Got to agree. Arsenal are a a joy to watch, and have been for a number of years now. They play the game how it ought to be played. No clodhopping hoofers need apply. Wenger is god like in being able to find players of quality and get the best out of them. He has to be a chairman's dream manager!

I remember the days when chants of 'boring boring Arsenal' were to be expected and, more to the point, deserved. George Graham might have got results but Arsenal were dishwater to watch. No more.

Top Bottom