Article on Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Decided to order a new tyre as with all the seepage it was a mess. That arrived at the weekend and tried to fit it. Unfortunately I cannot get it to seat on the rim despite having a topeak booster pump. So the old durano is back on and immediately reminded me of the improved ride quality I’ve been enjoying. Neverthess, I now need to get the wheel to someone with a compressor which is a pain When I like to be self sufficient.

😊 update. After several more futile attempts I’ve got the new tyre in place! I soaped the beads and installed the tyre with a tube. I pumped it to 100psi and it seated nicely on the rim. I left it for three days to stretch the beads. Today I placed the wheel horizontally over a bucket to avoid compression of the tyre and deflated the tube. I then opened one bead, removed the tube and added the tubeless valve. Then I carefully put the bead back in place trying to avoid pushing the other side into the well. Finally cranked up the Topeak booster and gave it a blast at 160psi, rather than air rushing out, it popped into place and sealed. I then removed valve core, added sealant and pumped back up to 70 psi and went for a test ride. All good. So a right palaver but have learned a lot about tubeless. I probably wouldn’t start this journey again but will enjoy the ride for the lifetime of these tyres at least.

Milzy

Guru
😊 update. After several more futile attempts I’ve got the new tyre in place! I soaped the beads and installed the tyre with a tube. I pumped it to 100psi and it seated nicely on the rim. I left it for three days to stretch the beads. Today I placed the wheel horizontally over a bucket to avoid compression of the tyre and deflated the tube. I then opened one bead, removed the tube and added the tubeless valve. Then I carefully put the bead back in place trying to avoid pushing the other side into the well. Finally cranked up the Topeak booster and gave it a blast at 160psi, rather than air rushing out, it popped into place and sealed. I then removed valve core, added sealant and pumped back up to 70 psi and went for a test ride. All good. So a right palaver but have learned a lot about tubeless. I probably wouldn’t start this journey again but will enjoy the ride for the lifetime of these tyres at least.
Wow, took me 10 mins to set up both tires last night. I find it easier than putting tubes in.

Top Bottom