Article on Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Rather than this thread declining into "if you don't agree with me you are wrong" ....

.... So who actually rides tubeless on a road bike on 25mm or 28mm tyres "successfully" or "unsuccessfully" (whatever that means - please feel free to add anecdotes) and what pressure are you running your tyres at?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Rather than this thread declining into "if you don't agree with me you are wrong" ....

.... So who actually rides tubeless on a road bike on 25mm or 28mm tyres "successfully" or "unsuccessfully" (whatever that means - please feel free to add anecdotes) and what pressure are you running your tyres at?
I ride 28s. Early days yet, about 1700km/ 1100 miles but no problems so far. Pressure about 5 bar/70 psi. May have had a small puncture in the front during my mini tour last week (had a bit of a loss of pressure one day). As for improved ride quality (previously 25mm Durano+ at 6 bar/90 psi). Meh, not noticed any difference really. Maybe a bit.

(If you agree with me, the chances are that you are wrong, going on my track record).

geocycle

Legendary Member
Not sure why this is such a contentious topic. There are definitely pros and cons. My experience is based on 6 months of riding tubeless. I switched from 25 mm Durano to Schwalbe pro ones in 28mm. I find the ride much improved and on that score I’m very happy. I’ve even found myself riding more quickly.

But their are downsides. Initially they lost a lot of pressure and had to add more sealant which solved that problem. Then they started leaking through the sidewalls with only small loss of pressure. Schwalbe told me this is normal but I’m not completely convinced. Then I got a puncture in the rear that will not seal itself, I added a worm a d it just popped out again, so added another which slid partly out then stuck but lost sealant around it. I don’t have confidence it will survive a ride. Decided to order a new tyre as with all the seepage it was a mess. That arrived at the weekend and tried to fit it. Unfortunately I cannot get it to seat on the rim despite having a topeak booster pump. So the old durano is back on and immediately reminded me of the improved ride quality I’ve been enjoying. Neverthess, I now need to get the wheel to someone with a compressor which is a pain When I like to be self sufficient. Would I go tubeless now, probably not, but if the tyre gets fitted and I have no further issues I might revise that again. At the moment I don’t have confidence in the tyres for riding the remote routes I enjoy.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not sure why this is such a contentious topic. There are definitely pros and cons. My experience is based on 6 months of riding tubeless. I switched from 25 mm Durano to Schwalbe pro ones in 28mm. I find the ride much improved and on that score I’m very happy. I’ve even found myself riding more quickly.
Some of that will be down to the switch from 25mm to 28mm. Some may be the ability to run slightly lower pressure 28mm tubeless than tubed or the fact the there is no tube. Its quite subjective unless you go from identical tyres tubed to tubeless.
I'm contemplating running my 35mm gravel bike tyres tubeless, but I haven't, touch wood, had any issues running them tubed, so i'm a bit like why bother to switch.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

10s of thousands on a mixture of 25mm and 28mm, plenty of spurters and a few worms used, but never had to resort to a tube or stop for more than a couple of minutes. Had some faff of setting up in the early days before rims/tyres became a little more standard, but nothing I could not sort at home. Use OrangeSeal Endurance, but might switch to Stans Race next time (for the bigger crystals).

Oh - run at 75 psi front and 80 rear.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Unfortunately I cannot get it to seat on the rim despite having a topeak booster pump.

I'm surprised a blaster won't seal it.

One technique is to lean the tyre against the wall, apply pressure at the hub, then deploy the blaster.

This will encourage at least one bead to partially seat, if not both.

Reverse the tyre and repeat stands a good chance of persuading the other bead to seat.

Drago

Legendary Member

Previously ran both 25 and 28 on DY Swiss rims. I ran about 10 PSI lower.

I had nothing against it per se, it was just needless faff over the long term for little tangible gain and being a lazy git couldn't be bothered with it any longer.

I had no real problems, but when i did eventually succumb to a p******* it was inevitably at 0230hrs on a country road coming home from work, which did little for my mood at the time :laugh:

In the interests of balance, I have 10 bikes on conventional tubes and haven't had a puncture that went as far as a deflation in 10 years, 1 month and 6 days.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Latex tubes in decent wired-on tyres still have the lowest RR.

Will Spin

Über Member
Well I tried road tubeless for about 18 months and 6,000 miles or so. I can see that they have some advantages, however I never really got the hang of repairing tyres that failed to seal following a puncture, others may have a better experience. What does annoy me is the we are now obliged to buy tubeless ready rims for tubed tyre use as there are almost no alternatives, which means they are an absolute bar steward to fit tyres on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I haven't bothered as I don't fancy the mess, nor do I have Tubeless ready rims. I have TR tyres on the MTB, but even then I still swap the tyres about enough to make it a faff.

Not sure why this is such a contentious topic. There are definitely pros and cons.
There's the problem. ANY such topic will result in a noisy 10% of the internet preaching their side of the issue. Those people can't accept your wishy-washy on the fence viewpoint - you are clearly a naive/zealot/newbie/oldfart [delete as applicable] See also: disk brakes, helmets, flat-bars/drops ...

Top Bottom