As a UK cyclist what is the nicest A road you've ever ridden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dmcd33

None

Tim Hall

The A59 into Knaresborough the other weekend. Mind you it was surprisingly (or not) empty of motor vehicles, as a Big Bike Race had just passed along it.

PK99

Legendary Member
As an individual stretch of road, A25 that is the descent from Newlands corner toward Shere. Am very much looking forward to doing it traffic free on the Pru100.

why? Wide, good surface and the view, OMG, the view!

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As an individual stretch of road, A25 that is the descent from Newlands corner toward Shere. Am very much looking forward to doing it traffic free on the Pru100.

I know it well! Nice on an early Sunday morning.
Sadly a Beemer took out a cyclist there, air ambulance jobbie, on Thursday morning I'm told.

Cold

A48 & A38 pretty flat and although busy sometimes they are quite wide so no problem with cars.

Worst is the A46 between Nailsworth and Stroud anytime I've been on it I feel like I am just waiting to be crushed by an impatient driver.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The A44. Heading west. In its entirety, well, almost, except for the last couple of miles but that is Aberystwyth for you. Time your ride right and it is sublime, sweeping vistas, hairpin bends, wide open sky; ride it on a clear night and the sky will take your breath away...

Mind you so will the close passing log lorries if you time it wrong.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

That is an awesome piece of road..

RedRider

Pulling through
The A59 into Knaresborough the other weekend. Mind you it was surprisingly (or not) empty of motor vehicles, as a Big Bike Race had just passed along it.
Likewise the A628 Woodhead Pass. It was like one of those car adverts where they make believe there's no other cars in the world. I understand it's horrible at any other time.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
A861, Salen to Lochailort. Testing climbs, remote wilderness, and great views.

If you don't want to count the Highlands, the A809 up over Queens View is probably my favourite way of getting in or out of Glasgow.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ashbourne to Derby is a cracker, there is a long downhill section of dual carriageway with no turnings for about 2 miles. On the first trip out with the loaded trailer I had been slowly finding out how well it handled and pushing up the speed, my return trip took me along there and I maxed out pedalling on 52-12 gearing then picked up a bit more speed tucked in, kept station with the inside lane traffic so 45 or so and the trailer was solid as a rock. :biggrin:
Would'nt like to have tried stopping it though. :whistle:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Don't know about nicest but I used to train, sometimes race, on the A413. Could be quite pleasant on a summer evening, often pretty quiet. Pretty variable, with some DC sections and other bits more like a B-road.

Top Bottom