As a UK cyclist what is the nicest A road you've ever ridden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
A596 between Workington and Maryport was pretty good when all the road bridges got swept away and it became a big wide and deserted cyclists' playground.

The A93 From a bit before Braemar over the Cairnwell to Blairgowrie is also a great road to ride.

I liked the A87 along the centre of Skye when I rode it a couple years back.

My vote, however, has to go to the A838 between Tongue and Durness.
DSCF1181.JPG

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You lot need to get off the A roads and discover the wonderful B roads and what they have to offer. Whenever i plan a longish ride it is always as much B road as possible just using the A's to jump to another B .
Feel free start your own thread on nice B roads by all means.... :rolleyes:

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 3198122, member: 30090"]The A5 a bit boring between Dunstable and Milton Keynes as is the A30 from Penzance. .[/QUOTE]
The A5 is boring full stop but it's a convenient road out of London to the north. I rode it from Marble Arch to Nuneaton. God it was mind numbing. Was the middle of the night though and I was hungry.

The A30 is a great way to get from London to Winchester. Really nice bit of road.

robjh

Legendary Member
The A5 is boring full stop but it's a convenient road out of London to the north. I rode it from Marble Arch to Nuneaton. God it was mind numbing. Was the middle of the night though and I was hungry.

I find Nuneaton pretty mind-numbing. Staying on the A5 might be better.

However, the A5 west of Llangollen, and especially from Betws-y-Coed to Bangor, is a whole different kettle of fish......

martint235

Dog on a bike
I find Nuneaton pretty mind-numbing. Staying on the A5 might be better.

However, the A5 west of Llangollen, and especially from Betws-y-Coed to Bangor, is a whole different kettle of fish......
I turned off the A5 and away from Nuneaton at that point and headed for Burton on Trent. The ride picked up immeasurably from there.

I have heard good things about the NW end of the A5

Danny

Legendary Member
My vote, however, has to go to the A838 between Tongue and Durness.
DSCF1181.JPG
Agree - apart from the fact that my rear cassette mechanism failed irretrievably on that very hill and I had a long walk to civilisation.

The long stretch of the A838 that goes from near Lairg to the west coast is also well worth riding. Lots of lochs, hardly any cars, and very few midges.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 3198572, member: 30090"]Hmm, I'm seriously tempted to spend a few days riding the A5 all the way from Marble Arch to Bangor, and back.[/QUOTE]
I keep saying I'm going to do the A6 Carlisle to Luton. Then I ride through the Levenshulme bit in Manchester.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 3198572, member: 30090"]Hmm, I'm seriously tempted to spend a few days riding the A5 all the way from Marble Arch to Bangor, and back.[/QUOTE]
A "few" days? You can do it in two if you try. Believe me you won't be hanging around on the bottom half

Top Bottom