As a UK cyclist what is the nicest A road you've ever ridden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The A592 Kirkstone Pass, just passed the Inn on the top of the hill is the bestestest downhill I've been down so far. Loads of tube of u stuff on that road if you can be arsed to look.

blazed

220lb+
Don't know individual roads but most of my cycling is around Hertfordshire countryside and everywhere is nice. Although nothing beats central London cycling but it's rare I cycle into London.

Likewise the A628 Woodhead Pass. It was like one of those car adverts where they make believe there's no other cars in the world. I understand it's horrible at any other time.
I'll agree, as I was on the summit for the Tour (just by the end of the 'north-side of the pass Snow-Road')
Descending back to the Flouch roundabout was surreal, with no traffic & cheering crowds, that hadn't dispersed

However, the sharp drop down to Millhouse Green (bit before Penistone) made me happy that the traffic wasn't on it, as the surface was atrocious in places, on the normal riding line - I was very happy to be able to choose my line as I saw fit
(same stretch was a nice ride up, passing all the families heading up there)

RedRider

Pulling through
I'll agree, as I was on the summit for the Tour (just by the end of the 'north-side of the pass Snow-Road')
Descending back to the Flouch roundabout was surreal, with no traffic & cheering crowds, that hadn't dispersed

However, the sharp drop down to Millhouse Green (bit before Penistone) made me happy that the traffic wasn't on it, as the surface was atrocious in places, on the normal riding line - I was very happy to be able to choose my line as I saw fit
(same stretch was a nice ride up, passing all the families heading up there)
I'm not sure of the names but we turned left after the descent off Holme Moss - which was very slow due to the cycle jam - ate a sausage sandwich from a van then made a steady climb for a mile or two and then a long-ish, straight fast descent on what seemed a good surface before turning left (along Wham Rd) towards Jackson Bridge. The day before we'd ridden the last couple of kilometres of stage one after most of the peleton had passed through and it was quite a laugh getting cheered along the way! Not sure if that was an A road tho.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Different roads for different reasons. The A960 is damn fine, although the A964, A966 and A967 run it close. Partly because they're all in a fabulous place (Orkney Mainland), partly because they're very scenic.

For a similar reason the A9 and A99 from Tain to JOG are fantastic (even though the weather was foul) - and you get the added frisson of knowing that a long-planned expedition is coming to fruition.

On a completely different tack, I love the A404 from here to central London. You start with a section of country road, then move through middle-class splendour in Chorleywood and Rickmansworth, classic English village in Pinner, little Asia in Wembley, and run-down suburban town centre in Harlesden.

I once rode a 100 mile tt on the A1 in Nottinghamshire. At the 70 mile point I was really suffering and felt like I was absolutely crawling but then glanced at my computer and noticed that I was doing 30 mph. A horrible road but boy is it fast !

beastie

Guru
I've never ridden it, but I'd imagine the A686 off the top of Hartside down to Melmerby would be entertaining if you knew it was quiet.

I've done it enough times in a car and know that even though it's a bit curvy at the top (ooerr missus) it's one of those roads where you've got clear vision all the way ahead, quite a giggle :smile:
It is a super descent, takes about 12 - 13 mins if you just soft pedal, but if you push then 10 mins or less is a bit more exciting. I really like the climb up, it is long but not too steep.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
It can also have my vote... Loch Eribol was beautiful when we went around it last year as well.

Yes, a stunning road. I haven't actually cycled it - have only driven it (a few times), and the only section of that 'top-of-Scotland' road I've ridden is from Melvich to John O'Groats, which whilst superb in itself doesn't have quite the same appeal as the road around Loch Eribol.

Staying in this neck of the woods, though, I'd also nominate the A-road down Straths Halladale and Kildonan. Very quiet, reasonable surface, great views and a good sense of isolation. It may be categorised as an A-road (A897), but being northern Scotland of course it is mainly a singletrack road with passing places.

We did it on LEJOG, the whole 40 miles from Helmsdale to Melvich being against a block headwind, which made the 20-mile 'climb' to the Loch Lucy watershed in Strath Halladale hard going, and the 20-mile 'descent' not much easier.....

Strath Halladale watershed

tn_991_zps1ae1e97a.jpg

tn_IMG_1537a_zps5102b81c.jpg

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Just an observation - the definition of "A-road" is really quite fluid - so much so that it almost seems arbitrary. What is now the A355 trunk road between Amersham and Beaconsfield was, until about 1970, the B473. There's no evidence of road widening or straightening to go with the upgrade. I'd be curious to know if there is an official set of rules that determine the difference between an A-road, a B-road and an unclassified road.

Top Bottom