Asbestos Removal - What a Rip!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Having a house (well bungalow :blush:) mauled about by builders at the moment. A health and Safety 'gentleman' was passing and so called in to make friends and help out where ever possible. Anyway he said we had some asbestos on site and we'll have to dispose of it via a contractor. Phoned a number he gave us and they quoted £4 grand to remove it + £280 for initial report and £360 for final report. We hunted around and found a local company (accredited and everything) who are doing the same work all in for £520 + Value Added Tory. It's a bugger because if I knew it was asbestos prior to work starting, as a home-owner, I could have disposed of it through a registered tip for nowt (I think that's correct) but now it's a building site there's a new set of rules.

What a difference in price though!

Make sure your property doesn't get a virus, now that the firewall is being removed, Ed. The second price? Asbestas yer gonna get! :smile: Nice that the chap made your acquaintance though - made your day, I feel...:welcome:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
it's a shark infested planet... they do the same with japanese knotweed; because it's controlled waste they'll quote astronomical prices backed up half truth, scare stories and BS.

As
It's a bugger because if I knew it was asbestos prior to work starting, as a home-owner, I could have disposed of it through a registered tip for nowt (I think that's correct) but now it's a building site there's a new set of rules.

That's right - you just have to double bag it up and phone the tip up so they can open the locked container.

It's JJ Barrie.

Paul J

It came out of the ground so dig a hole in your garden and bury it.

gavintc

Guru
Having a house (well bungalow :blush:) mauled about by builders at the moment. A health and Safety 'gentleman' was passing and so called in to make friends and help out where ever possible. Anyway he said we had some asbestos on site and we'll have to dispose of it via a contractor. Phoned a number he gave us and they quoted £4 grand to remove it + £280 for initial report and £360 for final report. We hunted around and found a local company (accredited and everything) who are doing the same work all in for £520 + Value Added Tory. It's a bugger because if I knew it was asbestos prior to work starting, as a home-owner, I could have disposed of it through a registered tip for nowt (I think that's correct) but now it's a building site there's a new set of rules.

What a difference in price though!

I just hope the cheaper quote is for a legal disposal rather than a 'dodgy' one. The difference is remarkable and my cynical side suspects you may not be getting what you should be getting for this disposal.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's a shark infested planet... they do the same with japanese knotweed; because it's controlled waste they'll quote astronomical prices backed up half truth, scare stories and BS.
knotweed is really big meter stuff. I've seen a building site lay fallow because nobody would insure against the knotweed coming back even after we'd put concrete on top.

Top Bottom