Assaulted by black cab driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dunofcomp

OK. Earlier today I returned to my bike, which was locked to a post next to a cab rank. There was no space on the generous three rack cycle facility nearby.

This means the bike is next to the taxis queuing in the rank, but set 3 cabs back from the front of the rank, where people embark.

The cab driver next to me wound his window down and started having a go at me. He was aggressive from the start. I remained totally calm, which I don't always, but the calmer I was, the more it made him angry. I said to him, I'm not in anyone's way, people don't embark here, and in any case, why are you so angry? Why can't we just get along? He could have politely asked me not to park there, after all.

Anyway, he just got angrier and angrier, and said he was going to cut the spokes on the bike if I parked there, then he said he knew my bike now and if here EVER saw it he was going to smash it up. I said that would be a mistake, because the police would be involved and he might lose his cab license, he said "do I look bothered" (shouted actually) and I have to admit, he did not look bothered. Just cross.

Needless to say, soon he was out of his cab and standing right up to me (he was quite a bit shorter than me, so it wasn't too bad) and shouting and swearing. The old man driving the cab behind him knew him by name, and was desperately trying to calm him down, but it wasn't working. He was in a rage. In the end he had to go because a fare came and he was holding up the rank. I must say that the fare embarked without my bike being in the way (the queue had already moved along) as they always do.

It shook me up quite a bit, I was shaking a bit afterwards from the adrenaline I suppose, and I really think I should do something about it. I'm going to be worried parking my bike anywhere around there now, and I think it's totally out of order for someone to assault me and make me fear for my property in that way.

Anyway, I've reported the incident to the police, but I can't decide whether to make a formal allegation of assault or not. I don't want to make my life even more difficult, or risk repercussions from him (the veins on his head and his neck sinews were bulging, he was a proper waltham cross angry white man, definitely capable of violence in the heat of the moment), but at the same time I really feel aggrieved at his behaviour and that I should stand up for myself.

He's probably got a wife and children, imagine what life must be like for them? It's sad.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I can't help thinking that if he lost his cab license that would be a benefit to london.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's a tough choice on what to do. Mainly because I know how the system currently works with taxi drivers and them being abusive to the public. There is a good chance the driver will get away with this with only a slap on the wrists.
The PCO aren't storing data properly on their drivers so it's currently impossible to see if a driver has done similar in the past. New records are kept for around 2 years.

I can only imagine how you must feel now about leaving you bike near there. I can only suggest getting a lock with an alarm and putting this on your bike. Then if someone moves it the alarm sounds. It will draw instant attention to your bike if anyone is doing something to it

Bruce

I love these reports we get on here, its all I did nothing wrong at all, and he behaved totally out of order, in the main people dont react that way unless provoked, or if you respond to them agressively, if you really were not interested why did you hang about? why did you not simply unlock your bike and move away? No you stood there and wound him up, you talk about an assault, but dont mention it in your account, so how can you report an assault? Jeez

Suppose I will get the mandatory flaming now as someone has said something against someone on here which may upset the balance of we the minority are always right, sad predicatable and true

monkeypony

I must admit, I read it twice in case I missed the 'assault' first time round. I didn't. Not a nice experience though either way.

Adasta

^ Um, check the law before the pair of you begin to preach your nonsense:

[url= said:
Under Section 39 of the Criminal Justice Act the offence will be committed when a person either assaults another person or commits a battery.

[...]

An assault is when the one person makes the other fear that immediate force will be used against them. This could be anything from shaking a fist or running a finger across a throat. No force needs to be applied in order for it to be an assault. [emphasis added]

I think you should call the police; however, unless you have witnesses there isn't much the police can do...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You were threatened. You should have recorded his reg, and reported the threatening behaviour, then in the case that the bike is vandalised etc, the police will have at least a 1st port of call.

As far as assault allegations, it wont hold up.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Report the incident here too:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/pco/

TFL will investigate and the driver will get interviewed (he will also have the opportunity to put his side of the story). However, as the other witness appears to be another black cab driver, I'd not expect too much...

Camgreen

In the end he had to go because a fare came and he was holding up the rank. I must say that the fare embarked without my bike being in the way (the queue had already moved along) as they always do.

Don't think I'd have fancied being that fare to be honest. Doesn't sound like he was in the right frame of mind to be driving the busy London streets at that particular moment.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
'IF' this happened, and 'IF' you have independant witnesses, then you will be doing london a favour by reporting him.

Sod his family, they are not the ones likely to be affected by him/his driving 'if/when' he loses his temper with a cyclist/pedestrian/motorist.

I feel more for the families of a future 'victim' than I do for whether his family have a bread winner.

In today's modern age of phone cameras and voice recording, I would be more than willing to say, 'hang on [click record in pocket] sorry, you were saying?'

Did you get his reg, badge number, and/or the one of the one that intervened?

OP
OP
D

dunofcomp

Yes, I meant assaulted as in the legal sense, not physically harmed. Which is battery I suppose. This did take place during the time it took me to unlock my bike, put the lock it in my rucksack, sort out my gloves etc. etc. By then he was stood so close to me I could only move backwards.

I obviously did wind him up, but not intentionally. He was already pretty wound up when I arrived, and when he discovered that I wasn't going to get angry or be physical, I think he stepped up his assault because it gave him confidence.

The real question is, is it safe to make an allegation? I know I've been assaulted, and it's a crime to threaten to damage someone's property as well, but is it going to come back and bite me if I pursue it?

I know he won't get prosecuted, but he might already have a stack of allegations against him, so it will count for something surely?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I love these reports we get on here, its all I did nothing wrong at all, and he behaved totally out of order, in the main people dont react that way unless provoked, or if you respond to them agressively, if you really were not interested why did you hang about? why did you not simply unlock your bike and move away? No you stood there and wound him up, you talk about an assault, but dont mention it in your account, so how can you report an assault? Jeez

Suppose I will get the mandatory flaming now as someone has said something against someone on here which may upset the balance of we the minority are always right, sad predicatable and true
Very supportive of you. Well done.

Mad at urage

If some one advanced on me and threatened me like that I would hit them.

We seem inundated with trolls of late.

And risk having a whole load of cab drivers as witnesses that you assaulted him "quite unprovoked"? Not a very wise plan.

This is of course your 'home' (from the number of posts) and that entirely justifies you calling anyone with fewer posts who disagrees with you, a troll. However, maybe if you looked up the definition you could learn something?

Zoiders

And risk having a whole load of cab drivers as witnesses that you assaulted him "quite unprovoked"? Not a very wise plan.

This is of course your 'home' (from the number of posts) and that entirely justifies you calling anyone with fewer posts who disagrees with you, a troll. However, maybe if you looked up the definition you could learn something?
Sorry no.

If some one is in my face screaming and shouting he will calm down and take a step back as I feel threatened.

If they will not go away you are in your rights to make them go away.

No one - and I repeat no one has to stand there and get thumped.

And yes this is a troll thread for trolls.

Spindrift.:hello:

OP
OP
D

dunofcomp

Maybe people could give their opinion on whether or not it is SAFE to make an allegation of assault, instead of arguing about internet ettiquette?

If you don't believe my story that's fine, and understandable, but there's no point dwelling on that.

Just suspend your disbelief for a few minutes, assume that it is true, and give your advice.

You could probably reply to every topic on this board calling the poster a liar, but what would be the point?

I am genuinely seeking advice, maybe from someone with a similar experience, or experience of the law/police etc.

Top Bottom