Assaulted by black cab driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Maybe people could give their opinion on whether or not it is SAFE to make an allegation of assault, instead of arguing about internet ettiquette?

If you don't believe my story that's fine, and understandable, but there's no point dwelling on that.

Just suspend your disbelief for a few minutes, assume that it is true, and give your advice.

You could probably reply to every topic on this board calling the poster a liar, but what would be the point?

I am genuinely seeking advice, maybe from someone with a similar experience, or experience of the law/police etc.

In short, yes if you believe it was assault then make the allegation.

I am quite firmly of the opinion that if you don't say anything, nothing gets done. That might make me sound like a moaning ninny, but you HAVE to stand up for yourself and for others. If what you say is true and the driver was aggressive from the start, what happens to the next guy?

Maybe a chat with plod is enough to make him think twice next time.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
And risk having a whole load of cab drivers as witnesses that you assaulted him "quite unprovoked"? Not a very wise plan.

This is of course your 'home' (from the number of posts) and that entirely justifies you calling anyone with fewer posts who disagrees with you, a troll. However, maybe if you looked up the definition you could learn something?

Well, with over 8000 posts, I can call Zoiders a 'troll' then?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm with Origamist on this one - if you've got some means of identifying him, then report it. In and of itself your report isn't going to make a difference, but it is just possible, or more than just possible, that this man has been reported for something similar. Then again, he may be reported for a similar offence in the future.

Even if your report just lays on the file, it's worth putting in.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I'm with Origamist on this one - if you've got some means of identifying him, then report it. In and of itself your report isn't going to make a difference, but it is just possible, or more than just possible, that this man has been reported for something similar. Then again, he may be reported for a similar offence in the future.

+1 wot 'e said......

<br>The old man driving the cab behind him knew him by name, and was desperately trying to calm him down, but it wasn't working.&nbsp;&nbsp;He was in a rage. <br><br>
<br><br><br>This part would worry me - if a "mate" (yes I know they don't have to be friends just because they all drive taxis) is trying to calm him down, you have to start wondering what has happened in the past... specially since being calm didn't stop him from popping his top.<br><br>
<br>I love
these reports we get on here, its all I did nothing wrong at all, and he
behaved totally out of order, in the <b>main people dont react that way
unless provoked</b>, or if you respond to them agressively, if you really
were not interested why did you hang about? why did you not simply
unlock your bike and move away?&nbsp;&nbsp;No you stood there and wound him up,
you talk about an assault, but dont mention it in your account, so how
can you report an assault? Jeez <br><br>Suppose I will get the mandatory
flaming now as someone has said something against someone on here which
may upset the balance of we the minority are always right, sad
predicatable and true<br>
<br><br>I have come across many people that are angered just by not responding in kind! Also, you assume that the person "reporting" is the one to cause them grievance, it could have been someone 10 minutes early only for OP to take the brunt.<br><br>If someone started on at me, I would be WTF and wouldn't just run away.<br>

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Origamist, Dell etc.. are all right, report this to TFL with all the details and descriptions you have. Oh and I'll add if there are shops and local CCTV points go and have a gander, approach the owners/operators of them for a copy if you can get it (theres usually a small fee, but would be worth it if it shows his and your behaviour and how it contrasts with what he says)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

As i said previously in this thread. From my experience TFL and the police, will just pass this on to the PCO. They deal with the taxi drivers behaviour. Especially if there are no witnesses and no bodily contact.

From my inside knowledge of how the PCO works and deals with their complaints. They stored all complaints in a paper based system and every time a new complaint came in then would pick up this paper reference and look at the behaviour of the taxi driver in the past. The downside to this is that it is all paper based and is very time consuming to do. The main driver records are stored on a computer system.
In 2010 the PCO moved buildings, the paper based information was moved to a building across the other side of London and is now not accessible to employees of the PCO. This means that now when a new complaint comes in, the people that deal with them can not look into their past. It is unfortunately a shame but we have to make sure we complain to build a record up of their behaviour again.
During the move, the PCO also got rid of their in house mechanics and now all MOT's etc.. are out sourced, which could mean that the performance of the vehicles could be compromised.

Obviously reporting them is still a very good idea, getting this on their record is important. But i really wouldn't expect anything to happen with it, even when i've got video footage of a driver clearly showing anger towards me and threatening to punch me, NOTHING happened, I'm still heavily chasing up the PCO with this after several months to push them to do more about drivers with bad behaviour towards the public and not just cyclists.

My experiences with reporting taxi drivers to various bodies is what leads me to believe they all fob of such things to the PCO, it may be incorrect in the long run but this is what i have noticed.

He seems to have offended against Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986:

"(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he:sad:a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."This offence has the following statutory defences:

(a) The defendant had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be alarmed or distressed by his action.(b) The defendant was in a dwelling and had no reason to believe that his behaviour would be seen or heard by any person outside any dwelling.© The conduct was reasonable.

It would concern me that if this is his reaction to a parked bike and you did absolutely nothing to provoke or inflame the situation how does he respond to a driver that causes him offence or if his partner does not have his dinner on the table the moment he walks through the door? Displaying such off the scale stress levels also makes him a good candidate for a heart attack or stroke. I am not sure I would want to be in his cab!
My view is you should stand up and be counted. You won't be his only victim and I am sure you will not be the first person to make a complaint. The bully deserves to be reported.

al78

Guru
Taxi drivers are peanuts - it doesn't surprise me too.

Not all of them. I had one once that suggested that I should filter to the front of the traffic queue as he advised I would be safer there.

The only problem was, there was no room at the front without jumping the lights and there was only two cars in front of me anyway.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Gaz - the PCO has been nonsense for at least (counts on fingers) seven years. I've been told by them that if a taxi driver does something illegal it should be reported to the police. They have no interest in what cab drivers get up to.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Gaz - the PCO has been nonsense for at least (counts on fingers) seven years. I've been told by them that if a taxi driver does something illegal it should be reported to the police. They have no interest in what cab drivers get up to.

The police just pass it to the PCO and don't want anything to do with it. It just seems to be a massive circle of no one giving a toss.

The way i see it, if a taxi driver is abusive or unpleasant to a member of the public then it should go to the PCO and they should do something about that.
If the driver assaults someone or is driving dangerously then it should go to the police.

Top Bottom