Assaulted by black cab driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Well done for not saying something back. I wouldn't be able to stop myself with a cock like that, and it would only of made the situation much worse.

I know many on here will strongly disagree (and will tell me why it would be the worst thing to do), but in that situation I'd have said enough back to get him to throw the first punch and then battered the twat.

Jezston

Über Member
I love these reports we get on here, its all I did nothing wrong at all, and he behaved totally out of order, in the main people dont react that way unless provoked, or if you respond to them agressively, if you really were not interested why did you hang about? why did you not simply unlock your bike and move away? No you stood there and wound him up, you talk about an assault, but dont mention it in your account, so how can you report an assault? Jeez

Bruce - your post has wound me up. Therefore, I take it you'll now delete it? Because if someone is getting angry at you, you just do what they say even if you've done nothing wrong, right?

Would it help if I started shouting at you and hurling abuse?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I can't see how (if he was shouting in your face) a shove in the chest pushing him away, telling him to keep back and that you don't want trouble, wouldn't be justified?

I have decked people for far less. I suppose it all boils down to knowing the law, the situation at the time, witnesses etc.

400bhp

Guru
I know many on here will strongly disagree (and will tell me why it would be the worst thing to do), but in that situation I'd have said enough back to get him to throw the first punch and then battered the twat.

Nothing wrong with that. :smile: I think it would be nice to see some brawls every now and again instead of handbags at 20 paces.

Some people are just t**ts looking for an argument at any opportunity.

They aren't worth arguing back with. It's not worth your time since you have better things to do with it.

Walk on and let them simmer in their own anger and impatience.

400bhp

Guru
Walk on and let them simmer in their own anger and impatience.

The point is he wasn't in a situation to do that.

The point is he wasn't in a situation to do that.

He could have easily refused to acknowledge the taxi drivers rant and walked off.

Takes two to argue, if the bike being parked there pissed the taxi driver off so much that he got out to assault the OP or damage the bike, then the OP would have a much better case for any assault or damage to property.

Shouty people look much sillier when no one answers them back.

Origamist

Legendary Member
He could have easily refused to acknowledge the taxi drivers rant and walked off.

Takes two to argue, if the bike being parked there pissed the taxi driver off so much that he got out to assault the OP or damage the bike, then the OP would have a much better case for any assault or damage to property.

I'm not sure I'd have walked off and left my bike at the mercy of someone who had threatened to damage it, YMMV.

That said, my strategy is to ignore people who talk nonsense, shout, or are abusive towards to me. It's worth mentioning though, that silence can wind some people up even more than arguing conversing with them...

jmaccyd

I must admit, my ongoing tactic in the twenty years or so of driving a cab round London in the handful of occasion when the situation has crossed my bows. Nothing looks quite as ridiculous as a 'grown' adult foaming at the mouth engaged in a one-sided row me thinks.

The person who suggests 'hitting him' is of course the same sort of cyclist that has caused brain damage to that motorist down in the south-west recently who made the terrible error of opening a door on a cyclist and was put in intensive care with life threatening injuries. Sadly, the kind of hate and spite monger that unfortunately seems to be large part of forum, as well as the 'all cab drivers are.... (insert whatever words that display your own bigotry and lack of education)

Yes, report him by the way. It takes very little time and you owe it to yourself, the other members of the London cab trade, the majority of whom do a good job, and to other Londoners. It may or may not 'achieve' anything but you MUST do it )either the plate number the white square on the back, the reg of the vehicle or the badge number of the driver that should be on display). The other point I also make in this situation, sorry to bore you all, but you don't like the TFL system for dealing with unsavoury behaviour for London cab drivers then battle to GET IT CHANGED. The PCO is now reporting to TFL that reports to the Mayor who is democratically elected. However, the monolithic and sloth like qualities of the PCO should not be under-estimated, so it will not be a ten minute job!

Dan B

Disengaged member
The other point I also make in this situation, sorry to bore you all, but you don't like the TFL system for dealing with unsavoury behaviour for London cab drivers then battle to GET IT CHANGED.

Perhaps the (vast majority of good) cab drivers should be pushing for this themselves as well. Getting the crap cabbies (of which there are enough to quite often spoil my day) off the road would be a win for all the ones such as yourself who actually do give a shoot about other road users.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That said, my strategy is to ignore people who talk nonsense, shout, or are abusive towards to me. It's worth mentioning though, that silence can wind some people up even more than arguing conversing with them...

My current strategy is to wish them a good day. It totally wrong foots them.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Coming home on Wednesday, a cab driver who presumably was aggrieved that I was in primary - and easily keeping up with traffic speed, I might add - at a previous junction, said to me "you don't own the road, you've got your cycle track" at the next lights. I gave her my best Withering Look and said "don't be silly, love", then rode off.

Top Bottom