Assistance required concerning male logic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
or possible lack thereof.

I hesitate to ask this question of my local domestic appliance retailer. I do not wish to run the risk of them falling off their chair laughing.

I will describe the scenario

At a male relative's house recently, I noticed that the dishwasher was not very fragrant. I know him well enough to suggest diplomatically that the filter in the bottom of the dishwasher occassionally needs to be washed. My reasoning being that food scraps get caught in the filter. Am I correct so far?

I feel the need to stress at this point that I cannot remember if I said "take the filter out and clean it in the sink and replace the filter before you next use the dishwasher". However, the male in question has a degree in Electronic Engineering, and I often try to avoid stating the obvious.
;)
It transpires that he took out the larger filter, and the medium one, and then put them in the dishwasher when it was next used to wash dishes.

My feminine logic tells me that this was not correct in procotol or advisable regarding the efficient operation of a dishwasher. However, the afore-mentionned male of the species was assumed to be intelligent enough to consider this aspect.

Is anyone on this forum qualified brave kind enough to indicate whether I would be correct in suggesting the procedure as outlined in paragraph four above. Thank you

Willow

so what happened?;)

ChrisKH

Guru
Tell the lazy bugger to empty and rinse plates, cups and saucers before they go in the washer!!!!!!!

My dishwasher doesn't smell. It isn't a bin tho' - one should always rinse beforehand.

And of course clean the filter regularly. And use a one cycle cleaner every so often without dishes otherwise it will remain dirty. Bit like having a bath but never cleaning it. ;)

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I tried to explain that his preferred process does not assist the removal of said foody bits from the dishwasher, just recycles them to get wedged again.:thumbsup:

However, the logic of this appears to escape him. This is why I am asking, just in case ;) it is my logic at fault. ;)

Brave male steps up.....

The filter catches bits of food and that goes off in time and smells. As long as you clean out the food then you are OK.

If he took out the filters and ran the machine he may have got the bits of food stuck in the works as the machine recycles the water around and around along with watever is floating about in it. That is the problem with his solution as I see it.

The thing that puzzles me is that you can get stuff to clean the inside of your dishwasher. Aside from the crud caught in the filter it must be about the cleanest place in your house as it is hosed down with boiling soapy water every day. So does anyone buy dishwasher cleaners?

ChrisKH said:
And of course clean the filter regularly. And use a one cycle cleaner every so often without dishes otherwise it will remain dirty. Bit like having a bath but never cleaning it. ;)

But is it not as clean inside as my plates? Baths start with clean water that gets dirty. Dishwashers clean off dirt and then use new water to rinse off the plates (and the inside) every time. So what is the cleaner thing cleaning that the usual dish cleaning stuff is not?

Maizie

Guru
Over The Hill said:
So does anyone buy dishwasher cleaners?
Yup - cos it keeps my husband quiet if every six months or so we remember to do an empty wash with a cleaner in it (same with washing machine, only that runs empty not with a cleaner...)

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Over The Hill said:
Brave male steps up.....

The filter catches bits of food and that goes off in time and smells. As long as you clean out the food then you are OK.

If he took out the filters and ran the machine he may have got the bits of food stuck in the works as the machine recycles the water around and around along with watever is floating about in it. That is the problem with his solution as I see it.

I knew there was a flaw in his theory, but of-course he cannot see it that way. ;)

ChrisKH

Guru
Over The Hill said:
But is it not as clean inside as my plates? Baths start with clean water that gets dirty. Dishwashers clean off dirt and then use new water to rinse off the plates (and the inside) every time. So what is the cleaner thing cleaning that the usual dish cleaning stuff is not?

Salt residue?

Don't forget the cleaner for the dishwasher will be stronger than that used for dishes, so will clean off what dishwasher powder/tablets will not.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
snorri said:
Unfortunately these paper qualifications often bear little relation to practical knowledge or experience of anything at all.:sad:
:sad:

Yes, I agree, the same male could not set his video recorder to record a programme from Sky, and had to ask me to do it. ;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
snorri said:
Unfortunately these paper qualifications often bear little relation to practical knowledge or experience of anything at all.:sad:
;)

Of course not. Maths and similar subjects deal all the time with things that don't exist, what on earth would we want anything to do with real things?

Top Bottom