At My Lowest Ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One day at a time is the ONLY way, how long have you been on the depression tablets? It's taken a good three or four weeks for mine to kick in!
Your and your family are the most important things in all this, I know it's easy for an outsider to say, but your job is not anywhere the top of your priorities yet. People kept telling me that because of my redundancy and at the time I couldn't see it. But know I can.
Glad you are looking forward to the weekend, with the important word being 'FORWARD!!!'

Keep it going mate. Feel free to PM if you want

How's it going @cosmicbike ?

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
On the sofa again last night, couldn't sleep in bed. Otherwise ticking along trying to keep busy whilst trying not to overdo the physical stuff. How's your weekend going, you still sore from the fall?

I'm no health care professional but how about this for an idea. I am of the firm belief that you are not depressed. I think you are unhappy. Profoundly, deeply and totally understandably. Unhappiness and the cause of your unhappiness cannot be treated with antidepressants. Instead of seeking meds for you emotional state turn your attention to healing your body - and your mind will follow.

I'm no health care professional but how about this for an idea. I am of the firm belief that you are not depressed. I think you are unhappy. Profoundly, deeply and totally understandably. Unhappiness and the cause of your unhappiness cannot be treated with antidepressants. Instead of seeking meds for you emotional state turn your attention to healing your body - and your mind will follow.
As you say your no professional so how can you say what is wrong with a person, especially someone who you have never met?
Just because you can't see depression it doesn't mean it isn't there. Your advice is probably the worst advice a depressed person could receive.
His doctor knows him and is treating him accordingly.

As you say your no professional so how can you say what is wrong with a person, especially someone who you have never met?
Just because you can't see depression it doesn't mean it isn't there. Your advice is probably the worst advice a depressed person could receive.
His doctor knows him and is treating him accordingly.

Because I have family members who've suffered from a range of psychological and mental problems. Because I know that the health service doesn't always get it right. I've lost count of the number of times that I or my family, friends and acquaintances have been misdiagnosed or missed diagnosed. including two people who died as a result.
Because. My opinion is just that, and there's a high likelihood that it's wrong.

'Just because you can't see depression doesn't mean it isn't there'. Seriously?

Because I have family members who've suffered from a range of psychological and mental problems. Because I know that the health service doesn't always get it right. I've lost count of the number of times that I or my family, friends and acquaintances have been misdiagnosed or missed diagnosed. including two people who died as a result.
Because. My opinion is just that, and there's a high likelihood that it's wrong.

'Just because you can't see depression doesn't mean it isn't there'. Seriously?
I stand by what I said, I've got more dignity than to argue on an Internet forum!

I stand by what I said, I've got more dignity than to argue on an Internet forum!
Good for you.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Interesting ,but I am not unhappy. That is somewhat different I think, though having never been here before who knows? As for healing the body, after 2 years I've just had a first (unconfirmed) diagnosis, at genetic level because the options ran out so I was entered into a trial. It's rare, and will be 2 more months until I get it confirmed, so in the meantime there is little I can do to 'heal the body', for fear of getting it wrong and putting myself through 2 weeks of physical agony (for the 6th time), not to mention the strain it puts on the family.
So yes, I think I'm suffering depression. Do the tablets help? Yes, they have taken the edge off, not perfect, but I'm no longer in tears, waking in panic and so forth. I suspect that once I know what's wrong with me, and hopefully how to manage it (for there is, apparently, no cure) then I will come off the meds.

... in the meantime there is little I can do to 'heal the body', for fear of getting it wrong and putting myself through 2 weeks of physical agony (for the 6th time), not to mention the strain it puts on the family...

I feel some of your fear, and I understand the family strain, and how this can affect the 'wholesome balance' that we work so hard for. If I can indicate the change in your apparent current status, (when compared to your first post in this thread), it appears there has been some improvement.
Whilst looking forward to a more manageable time may well be difficult, can I urge you to realise that improvements are happening, whichever way they are being made, leading to hopefully, a managed, less painful, and more satisfying life for you all.

I wish you all the best.

ScotiaLass

Guru
@cosmicbike I've just read this thread, so my apologies for the lateness.
I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rough time right now - hang in there, it WILL get better!
How do I know this? Because I've been there.
Depression and social anxiety have been a part of my life for so long.
I don't take meds - I'd be a liar if I said I don't have bad days, or the occasional panic attack, but my mental health has greatly improved.

I hope things improve for you too - you don't know me personally, but I'm part of that big family that are thinking of you, CC :smile:
:hugs:

LoftusRoadie

Don't really have anything to add but wanted to wish both of you the best of luck in both your "journeys". And this is for both of you but I'm not going to write it on both threads!
My Dad had depression and one of my saddest memories of him is when I came home from Germany to visit him and my Mum - and he was so happy to see me at the train station. Within 10 minutes of getting to their place he was desperately trying to get out of the house as he couldn't stand the mental torture any more. My Mum also had a nervous breakdown a long time ago, back in the 50s.
What helped both of them was getting outside - which is why I think my Mum (even in her 80s now) is such a keen gardener. And it's easy to say "keep busy", but when you have depression it's not that easy to do! Even a little bit. You've heard the Chinese phrase "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - so just see if there is something, anything, you can do to be busy. Even for a short while. (I'm not suggesting this is the only thing that will help.) And maybe then you'll have a few minutes of relief. And I hope as time goes by these minutes will get longer and longer. And remember that your journey from depression to "normality" won't be a straight line - some days will be better than others, but over time (and it will probably take a while) the good days will increase. At least that's my wish for you both.
Good luck.

Don't really have anything to add but wanted to wish both of you the best of luck in both your "journeys". And this is for both of you but I'm not going to write it on both threads!
My Dad had depression and one of my saddest memories of him is when I came home from Germany to visit him and my Mum - and he was so happy to see me at the train station. Within 10 minutes of getting to their place he was desperately trying to get out of the house as he couldn't stand the mental torture any more. My Mum also had a nervous breakdown a long time ago, back in the 50s.
What helped both of them was getting outside - which is why I think my Mum (even in her 80s now) is such a keen gardener. And it's easy to say "keep busy", but when you have depression it's not that easy to do! Even a little bit. You've heard the Chinese phrase "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - so just see if there is something, anything, you can do to be busy. Even for a short while. (I'm not suggesting this is the only thing that will help.) And maybe then you'll have a few minutes of relief. And I hope as time goes by these minutes will get longer and longer. And remember that your journey from depression to "normality" won't be a straight line - some days will be better than others, but over time (and it will probably take a while) the good days will increase. At least that's my wish for you both.
Good luck.
Thank you, very kind words

Top Bottom