At the desk opposite mine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Abitrary said:
How did your brother wound it in the first place then?
Probably practising amateur hammer throwing in a local park somewhere... the pidgeon was an innocent byflyer...

Abitrary

How come...

Cyclists seem to love dogs so much. On the space hopper forums everyone's got cats in their avatars

i flapped a bit.

think it went well, i was pleased with the task i had to do. Trouble is, i'm not really qualified for the post.

bird update from the London Wetlands Centre... lots of ducks. got a good view of siskins. good Grebeage. the magpie goose pecked at me - we had another argument over posing for photos.

laurence said:
Trouble is, i'm not really qualified for the post.

Well, they interviewed you, they must think you are.

I never got any Heron pictures, although I nearly got a Heron yestrerday. It was sitting in the ditch at the side of the road (I don't know why, I didn't ask) and when I came along in the car it flapped off right in front of me. Now Herons might be graceful fishers but they ain't fast flyers. Only some hard, the ABS kicked in, braking saved it's feathery ass from certain squashiness.

i disturbed a heron today and it loped off, as they do. last week one was bumbling along about 10ft over the heads of two young mothers and their children. i was so entranced i didn't think to raise my camera. part of me wanted it to pluck a child out of their buggy. alas...

longers

Legendary Member
We had a good bit of heronage a few years ago. Cycling through a village we stopped to watch a heron swallwoing a massive frog/toad that it had just lifted from someones pond :smile:.

laurence said:
i used to like herons until i learned that they ate all the avocet chicks at the wetlands centre last year.

i don't think there's a park in london without a heron now
You'd like my commute along the Exe Estuary. Herons, egrets (I've had a few) and plenty of other long beaked wadey things.

sloe

Saw a heron catch a finger length fish by its tail, on Portobello beach. It then flipped it up in the air and swallowed it down head first. There's elegant.

And a V of six herons over the village here, clearly emulating geese efficiencies.

And they fish by the sodium lights of the harbour way past bedtime, not daft.

Top Bottom