At the desk opposite mine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chuffy said:
We also have the radio on. It is not my radio, which is why it's tuned to R2 or radio local. I have to type faster to drown it out...:smile:

I'm with you on Local Radio :blush: (We have Fox FM continuously), R2 which gets on occasionally is fantastic in comparison....nobody hears my request for R3 though...

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
Joe24 said:
Pretty rubbish in school at the moment. :smile:
I sympathise; it sounds hellish.

And I'm afraid work is not a lot better. If I were you I would start making plans for avoiding it right now.

I bet most of your fellow inmates can't string two sentences together, so you're ahead of the game already.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hugo15 said:
Don't get me started on H&S. Our kitchen is up a flight of stairs. We used to take turns making the tea in our office, carrying the cups on a tray. New women starts in office along the corridor, slips on the floor while carrying two cups. H&S answer = we are no longer allowed to make a cuppa for each other as you are only allowed to carry one cup at a time. We even have people reporting paper cuts as injuries. What do they expect, foam edged paper? I would be too embarrassed.
I used to think these H&S stories were made up until I had a chat with some old friends in the midlands. They work on community arts projects and were telling me about the endless H&S crap they have to go through now...

For a kids' summer arts-in-the-park project: A lengthy meeting which concluded that it was just too dangerous to let them use real metal scissors so they had to agree to use plastic ones instead. They didn't cut the paper properly. The paper itself - very dangerous because of potential paper cuts. Must get parental consent before allowing children to play with paper and instruct each child how to play with paper safely.

For a community bonfire: Make a simulated bonfire consisting of coloured paper streamers being blown about by fans and illuminated by coloured spotlights. It sounds very pretty and very clever but this was all so that the crowd didn't suffer the risk of smoke inhalation from a real fire! Funny thing was, having gone through the H&S planning, my mate still found himself up a ladder fixing the paper streamers in place when somebody started the fireworks display early. He lost his footing and nearly fell off the ladder...

I'm just waiting for someone to point out that the H&S assesment should have spotted the danger of untrained adults using ladders.

Arch

Married to Night Train
H and S (well, the Buildings Department) have decreed that one office in our attic suite of rooms can no longer be used as an office, because the fire exit from it requires the user to be 4 foot tall (or capable of stooping), slimish and happy to emerge onto a roof, and then back in through an even smaller door and down out of another part of the building. It's the best, most fun fire escape I've ever seen. Like something out of Hogwarts. But it's been condemned as a fire exit, which leaves this room more than one room away from the other way out (the normal entrance), and so, it can't be an office. They may let us use it as a storeroom, but we'd have to promise not to do anything sneaky, like spend more than five minutes in at a time or something.

Mind you, I'm surprised we can use the space up there at all. The first room you come to, at the top of the stairs, contains a simultanous low beam and trip hazard (the trip hazard being the corresponding beam in the floor). There's a sort of natural selection in that most of the people who work up there are short...

And when you come down the stairs, the door at the bottom opens outwards, and then you go down a step, so sometimes students who don't spot the door (White painted wood in a white painted wall) sit on the step and get a door opening in their back... The joys of medieaval buildings. We'd like to put a hinged book case over the door, to make it really secret. Most people have no idea where our little attic is!

Back to the OP - I expect most of these folk we condemn for triviality would think some of our discussions about the finer points of bikes were pretty dull...

GaryA

Subversive Sage
laurence said:
pigeon update - none on the roof opposite, but one sheltering from the rain on a balcony.

:blush::sad:

A great big chancer shitehawk (Aka herring gull) has just dive-bombed a pigeon out of my window. it missed :smile:

Gary Askwith said:
:sad::smile:

A great big chancer shitehawk (Aka herring gull) has just dive-bombed a pigeon out of my window. it missed :blush:

where's a golden eagle when you need one?

I might put on Kate Bush's Aerial CD later to try and get the local blackbird(s) to respond. always fun to do on a slow afternoon. :smile:

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
...The first room you come to, at the top of the stairs, contains a simultanous low beam and trip hazard (the trip hazard being the corresponding beam in the floor)...
A friend of mine tunes the organ at St Paul's cathedral; I sometimes go and help him by holding down the keys while he taps away at the pipes' tuning adjusters. The pipes are distributed all over, and to get to the remote consoles you have to go through all sorts of interesting nooks and crannies up in the higher parts of the building, most of which are never seen by the general public. It's great fun... but I reckon the whole process (indeed, the whole cathedral) would fail any H&S inspection lamentably. Ear protectors don't make that much difference when you are sat a few feet away from a 16 foot trumpet pipe... Luckily, some things still seem to be beyond the reach of the H&S Nazis :smile:

Arch said:
...Back to the OP...
It's not necessary, you know...

Tetedelacourse

My Fat Moron has a second job in a hotel. The hotel ran a competition with its employees to see who could come up with the best name for the new staff room. Moron "instantly" came up with around 25 hilarious and witty suggestions*, telling one of her colleagues, who wasn't planning on entering the contest, one of the less imaginitive ones to illustrate her cleverness.

She smugly submitted about 10 of her best entries and waited expectantly for the prize. Lo and behold, the colleague thought "what the hell" and submitted the one entry that moron had told her. Colleague wins prize of 2 nights complementary full board in 4* hotel, while moron descends into a raging fury for 2 weeks and vows never to speak to the rat again.

*such as "the den"

yenrod

So, is there a knocker or 2 (:sad:) on the entrance to this 'shop' :smile:

Aperitif said:
Occasionally, this sort of thing happens from the office window. I keep a variety of tools to capture the phenomenon :blush:

yenrod

Wouldn't mind some female interaction round here - used to work in an office with 15 girls no older than 25yrs ! :smile:

But now its 5 mechanics and numerous street cleaners and vehicles who visit when they brake down or such like.

View from desk: a big, massive dis-used abatoir and 5 long skips for sh@te off the road !

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
NickM said:
I sympathise; it sounds hellish.

And I'm afraid work is not a lot better. If I were you I would start making plans for avoiding it right now.

I bet most of your fellow inmates can't string two sentences together, so you're ahead of the game already.

It wasnt too bad today, there was a teacher that chased a kid because he kept locking the teacher out. Not sure of too much what happened but i got told the teacher grabbed the kid and threw him into a wall. Not sure if its true though. Its the same guy that called a kid "a fat obessed prick" which was funny. But he talks the truth because he called this gobby chav girl a "loud mouthed bitch" which made everyone laugh except her and her mates.
I enjoyed when i did work experience and would rather have a job then go to school. Although i will probably feel the same about work after a few years.

Top Bottom