At what point do you become a Cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
Andy in Sig said:
To answer the title question, I reckon it's when you change your first component on your bike not because it's broken but because you've found what you think is a better replacement.
And so begins your ever expanding bits box:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tom used to say "You're a cyclist in your head". Mostly, he was explaining the way so many people make excuses for NOT cycling (it's too hard, it's too dangerous, I can't afford a fancy new bike, it's too hilly, it'll rain too much) - matter how you disabuse them and provide solutions, they can't 'see' themselves cycling. Whereas some of us would class ourselves as cyclists, despite not riding so much (Like Mickle, I ride very little really, most weeks, in my case it's because most of my trips about town are very short and easier on foot)

But I think in this case, Andy in Sig has got it right...

domtyler

Über Member
You become a cyclist when you start to define yourself as a cyclist. It has nothing at all to do with the amount of miles you do. Hence Mickles wife is not a cyclist as she does not define herself as a cyclist whereas the non-cycling Mickle does. Of course this is just another way of defining Arches comment that it is in the head.

barq

Andy in Sig said:
To answer the title question, I reckon it's when you change your first component on your bike not because it's broken but because you've found what you think is a better replacement.

That's nice. :biggrin: But I'm going to spoil it with an exception... A friend of mine who is quite the best cross country rider I've ever known just does no maintenance whatsoever. He lives very near a shop and they do everything for him.

Joe said:
And so begins your ever expanding bits box:biggrin:

Heh! I built a complete bike (to be fair I had to buy a frame) from my parts box. It is quite ridiculous the amount of parts some of us amass. :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i must consider myself as a cyclist as i take it as a personal insult when people start going on about the cyclist who rljed etc on their way to work, as if i am somehow responsible, bracketing me in with all the chavs on mtbs who ride no handed whilst making a phone call and rolling a fag.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
alecstilleyedye said:
i must consider myself as a cyclist as i take it as a personal insult when people start going on about the cyclist who rljed etc on their way to work, as if i am somehow responsible, bracketing me in with all the chavs on mtbs who ride no handed whilst making a phone call and rolling a fag.

Is that because you count yourself as a cyclist or because they know you as a cyclist?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You're a cyclist the moment you get your leg over the bike, and you stop being one when you get off, because then you're a pedestrian. After that you might be something else, like sedentary, or a motorist. :biggrin:

Top Bottom