Attacked by a Goose!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Last night on the canal just coming up towards Rolfe Street Station in Smethwick I was going past a couple of geese and their little goslings when one of the geese decided it didn't like me that close and started hissing...

... I moved right over and carried on but it was one of those really steep little bridges so I was a bit slow and didn't move on quick enough...

... bloody thing then flew at me - eeewww it was horrible it knocked me with it's feet (they felt really weired!) in my face and it hit my arm - I was glad I was wearing a helmet or I think it might have got tangled up in my hair!!!

Been going up and down the canals for years but never had anything like that happen before!! They always hiss at me when they have babies with them but I've never had one do that before!!

Only sorry there were no witnesses at the time and that when I reached the sanctury of home the "loved ones" just decided to roll around in laughter at my misfortune!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
LMAO :smile:

Joys of Spring

NigC

Geese can be vicious little devils at times, but I've never actually been attacked by one - usually they're content with a strong verbal warning.

Must be much worse on a bike - if you're walking you can probably get out the way a lot quicker.

As for the "loved ones" - I'm sure I'd get the same treatment if I came home with that story :smile:

Jezston

Über Member
I hate geese.

An old friend of mine lived in the country and they had ducks that were very friendly. However, the ducks were guarded by this bastard of a goose that would chase you off if he spotted you.

A fox got him in the end. Good.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My run 3 times a week is in a park filled with Geese, they are so used to people you can literally hurdle some of them and they dont move!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Take some bread with you. That distracts them. Certainly in Obesity Brum it does. Might need some polenta if you are commuting in Surrey, or paratha in some parts of Bradford.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I was glad I was wearing a helmet or I think it might have got tangled up in my hair

Where are those helmet haters? Let's be having you.

This is proof that helmets saves lives (okay hairs).

They cannot do you any damage despite the old wives tales but if they poop on you then you will stink for days.

NigC

Catrike UK said:
They cannot do you any damage despite the old wives tales but if they poop on you then you will stink for days.

Ooh, I might use that as an excuse next time: "Sorry dear, it's not me, it's the goose crap" ;)

D-Rider

I had this a couple of years ago out with pals on MTBs. Single file path, I was third in the line. First cyclist scared the goose, second annoyed it.... by the time I passed it had composed itself and was ready to launch at the next pesky cyclist..... I had no chance! :-)

There's several semi-feral geese on the common at home. You can tell when some city types get down there, you hear "Oh what big du... OH MY GOD IT'S GOT MY ARM!!!"
We find bit's of Cambridge people floating in the ponds and dykes for weeks afterwards.

Top Bottom