Attacks on Brussels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4205061, member: 45"]The net seems to have been closing around them in Belgium. I wonder whether this was brought forward before it could be stopped?[/QUOTE]
I would imagine they brought it forward after the arrest in case it was disrupted after interrogation.

jhawk

Veteran
And while the dust is still settling a Brexit-supporting journalist for the Telegraph tweets this. Stupid woman.
View attachment 122414

Brussels is far from the 'jihadist capital of Europe'. What an awful characterisation (almost accusatory) to level at a city after such events.

Bit of a newsflash for her: An EU exit won't make any difference - being a part of the EU wasn't the reasoning behind today's attacks (If I had to speculate, I'd say a reprisal for the arrest of Salah Abdeslam - or, as mentioned above - security forces were closing in), and it wouldn't be a reason behind any future attacks on British soil.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Turkey isn't in the eu, nor is Tunisia. Both have been hit recently targeting Europeans.
I think the idea is that all of 'our' ex-pats come home, we kick 'the foreigners' out, then seal our borders forever, and presumably shoot anybody who subsequently attempts to get in. No more foreign holidays or working abroad. Then we will be safe ... :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 4205149, member: 9609"]good job Trump is not in charge yet - this is the sort of incident that could see someone somewhere getting nuked.[/QUOTE]
Presumably he would nuke Brussels to make sure that he got all of 'them'!

Subotai72

More precisely Global Islamic Terrorism existed before any intervention in Iraq.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It won't be long before all airports require passengers' baggage to be x-rayed before they even enter the terminal. Many in Africa and the Middle East already do this and it's an unwelcome extra source of stress and delay, especially when it's either extremely hot or pouring with tropical rain outside.
Then the queues for the landside scanners outside the terminals will become handy target.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The airport was only one target: the other was the Metro system, and I am told that there was also a controlled explosion conducted by police at the Free University. Greater security isn't the answer in the end, and you can't make all public places secure.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I just heard from an old friend that his sister-in-law was seriously injured in the Metro attack. I'd read his appeal for news of her whereabouts earlier - she was supposed have been going to that station - and hoped it wasn't what he was clearly dreading, but unfortunately it was.

AndyRM

XOXO
I just heard from an old friend that his sister-in-law was seriously injured in the Metro attack. I'd read his appeal for news of her whereabouts earlier - she was supposed have been going to that station - and hoped it wasn't what he was clearly dreading, but unfortunately it was.

Sorry to hear that Monkey - we've a friend in a similar situation with her husband. Can't even begin to imagine what she's going through right now.

U

User169

finger.jpg

Top Bottom