Attacks on Brussels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaadX

He referred to "EU Human Rights law"... and as was pointed out, European human rights has nothing to do with the EU. European human rights law is established but the Council of Europe and enforced by the European Court of Human Rights.

You also seemed to be somewhat
No he did not read it again, law was not mentioned.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
During the second World war the government were quick to implement special measures to try and make the country safer. It is time that the EU thought about doing the same thing.
What special measures are those?

CaadX

He referred to "EU Human Rights law"... and as was pointed out, European human rights has nothing to do with the EU. European human rights law is established by the Council of Europe and enforced by the European Court of Human Rights.

You also seemed to be somewhat confused with your reference to

European human rights law is not made by the EU and we would still be bound by it if we left the EU.
Well here is your chance to put me right.

CaadX

During the second World war the government were quick to implement special measures to try and make the country safer. It is time that the EU thought about doing the same thing.

I am not talking about a Europe wide Muslim hunt. We have muslims parading on the streets of Europe openly supporting ISIS, we have imams openly preaching hate and Sharia law in the mosques. We have terrorists serving life sentences in prison while taxpayers pay thousands of pounds to keep them in big houses. All you need to do is look on Youtube to find some of these people. They are not hiding, on the contrary.

It seems the EU are afraid to make this move. Possibly afraid of upsetting someones human rights. Rights they dont deserve.

The biggest victims in all of this are the Muslims who are here and just want to get on with their normal lives. I wonder how many involuntary martyrs ISIS dispatched today.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I don't think he was lacking in grey matter, common sense or decency, but I do think he was lacking the superpowers needed to fight the massive political forces lined up against him.

Just look at what happened every time he tried to bring in any kind of gun control, for instance.

Or witness the hysterical opposition to his health reforms. I saw one Republican politician railing against Obama's 'commie health care' in a TV interview. He said that people should be left to die in the street if they could not prove that they had health insurance to cover the cost of their care. When asked what should happen if they were unconscious and had no such proof or suitable ID on them, he thought for a minute and then said that they should be left to die too. Seriously! :wacko:

Seems to me that Obama is so busy doing what he wants to do he forgets that the way to get things done is to get the opposition on your side. Not the brightest behaviour for any politician, but probably par for the course. The USA, to my view, seems to have ended up more divided than it was before he took office.

I recall one boss I worked for, we were all, as junior managers, very opposed to what we knew he was going to want us to do but we came out of the meeting agreeing with him and trying to work out how he had done it!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seems to me that Obama is so busy doing what he wants to do he forgets that the way to get things done is to get the opposition on your side. Not the brightest behaviour for any politician, but probably par for the course. The USA, to my view, seems to have ended up more divided than it was before he took office.
I don't think that he has actually been able to do very much of what he wanted to do!

I'm not sure how you get the opposition on your side when it goes like this:

Republicans' response to gun control: "Over my dead body!"

Republicans' response to health reform : "Over YOUR dead body!"

:whistle:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I don't think that he has actually been able to do very much of what he wanted to do!

I'm not sure how you get the opposition on your side when it goes like this:

Republicans' response to gun control: "Over my dead body!"

Republicans' response to health reform : "Over YOUR dead body!"

:whistle:

So you play the long game. But then, of course, you can't claim to have made a difference as a politician until you're long out of office.

Is the policy important or your reputation?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[We have wandered well away from the attacks in Brussels, which are obviously ghastly and unfortunately seem likely to be repeated from time to time all over the world for the foreseeable future ...]

So you play the long game. But then, of course, you can't claim to have made a difference as a politician until you're long out of office.

Is the policy important or your reputation?
I don't really see politics working properly anywhere. One side gets in and tries to undo what the opposition did. Eventually it all goes wrong and the other lot get back in and the cycle repeats itself.

I think the problem is that politics is the domain of politicians, many of whom are in it for their own good rather than the good of the people who voted for them. How many politicians would vote for what is good for the electorate if it were guaranteed that they would lose the next election?

jhawk

Veteran
Just to reiterate something I saw on Twitter. (Speaking of the aftermath).

"Much depends on there being a difference between Islam and Islamism, wherever it doesn't exist, we must create it."

I think that's pretty accurate. The two are often conflated (and that's not necessarily a hugely difficult thing to do - meaning it is relatively easy to arrive at such conclusions), but the difference is that one is a religion (all encompassing all kinds of people), and the other is the desire to impose Islam over society. In the case of ISIS, their Islamist objective also follows an ideological path - away from the political side of things. The ideology of Salafism/Wahabism (sp?), Saudi Arabia is also a Wahabi state.

ISIS' are using militant jihadism to execute that objective. The Muslim Brotherhood, as I understand it - used democracy to make the change they sought... To give a juxtaposing method.

In fact, one of their stated goals is the fulfillment of prophesy, as I understand it, that the Sunni Islamic armies will engage with the armies of the West in a final battle... (The place name escapes me, I think it began with a 'D')

Pretty scary stuff when you think of it. The terrorism seeks only to goad the West into further military intervention (which some might say is inevitable - I'm on the fence) thereby fulfilling said prophesy.

You can't bomb the ideology out of existence... Just as Nazism still exists today (and we bombed the sh*t out of Hitler!) - it is, however, wildly unpopular - the same thing must happen with the Islamist ideology (whether by natural progression out of theocracy in countries in which theocratic, authoritarianism rules), or by Western intervention. Though I think a true eradication, or de-popularisation of Islamism must come from within the faith and the region - lest it be seen as Western imperialism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom