Attacks on Brussels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What an outrageous thing to say!

Oh, er, hang on a minute ... :whistle:

(This is aimed at Trump-like Americans, not the majority with working minds!)

very entertaining, but it's not that hard to find ill-informed and / or stupid people anywhere. And to be fair John Glenn as first man on the moon isn't that far off. And there's a very good argument for having been 3 world wars (clue - the "zeroth" one would have been us and the French, as it involved the Americas, India etc as well as kost of Europe)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
very entertaining, but it's not that hard to find ill-informed and / or stupid people anywhere. And to be fair John Glenn as first man on the moon isn't that far off. And there's a very good argument for having been 3 world wars (clue - the "zeroth" one would have been us and the French, as it involved the Americas, India etc as well as kost of Europe)
I have met lots of stupid people from several countries. My point was that most stupid people never get to become president of the USA with a finger on the nuclear button ...

Oh, er, hang on a minute ...

George-W-Bush-village-idiot.jpg

:whistle:

Actually, I think that Trump would be several times worse than GWB, and that is something that I previously thought impossible! I reckon he would be the biggest ever recruiter for the likes of ISIS.

cuberider

Über Member
Brussels is far from the 'jihadist capital of Europe'. What an awful characterisation (almost accusatory) to level at a city after such events.

Bit of a newsflash for her: An EU exit won't make any difference - being a part of the EU wasn't the reasoning behind today's attacks (If I had to speculate, I'd say a reprisal for the arrest of Salah Abdeslam - or, as mentioned above - security forces were closing in), and it wouldn't be a reason behind any future attacks on British soil.

I think what she is trying to say is that being out of the EU gives us back control of our borders, and who enters the country, and without the EU human rights laws which have undermined security in the past. Obviously radicalisation is at the core of these atrocities, but that is a bigger challenge.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I have met lots of stupid people from several countries. My point was that most stupid people never get to become president of the USA with a finger on the nuclear button ...

Oh, er, hang on a minute ...

View attachment 122442

:whistle:

Actually, I think that Trump would be several times worse than GWB, and that is something that I previously thought impossible! I reckon he would be the biggest ever recruiter for the likes of ISIS.

You don't think their current president is, ahem, somewhat lacking in what is required?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This is true.

The best thing to do is not to bring in more security measures and procedures - but to carry on as usual. That's the thing that'll truly give a "F*ck you" to those who seek to divide and conquer.

And also not to attack those who have nothing to do with but happen to be the same race or faith as the perpetrators. One of the "theories of terrorism" is to provoke a backlash by the authorities or the enemy against your own people. They then resent the backlash so join your cause. The more outageous or extreme the backlash the better! Thus terrorists bomb the twin towers, so we "retaliate " against some random middle east people who then then hate the west. 6 nill to the terrorists.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
During the second World war the government were quick to implement special measures to try and make the country safer. It is time that the EU thought about doing the same thing.

I am not talking about a Europe wide Muslim hunt. We have muslims parading on the streets of Europe openly supporting ISIS, we have imams openly preaching hate and Sharia law in the mosques. We have terrorists serving life sentences in prison while taxpayers pay thousands of pounds to keep their extended families in big houses. All you need to do is look on Youtube to find some of these people. They are not hiding, on the contrary.

It seems the EU are afraid to make this move. Possibly afraid of upsetting someones human rights. Rights they dont deserve.

The biggest victims in all of this are the Muslims who are here and just want to get on with their normal lives. I wonder how many involuntary martyrs ISIS dispatched today.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think what she is trying to say is that being out of the EU gives us back control of our borders, and who enters the country, and without the EU human rights laws which have undermined security in the past. Obviously radicalisation is at the core of these atrocities, but that is a bigger challenge.
The European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the EU. We will still be a member in the event of a Brexit win.

Hyslop

Veteran
It happened at Glasgow airport in 2007. We just got lucky that the culprits were incompetent.
And that some fought back:okay:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
... and without the EU human rights laws which have undermined security in the past.
The European Convention on Human Rights was a post-war treaty signed by 47 nations, including the then USSR and Turkey. The convention came into force on the 3rd September 1953. It has nothing to do with the EU. If we choose to leave the EU on the 23rd June, this treaty is unaffected.

Edit: Smokin beat me to it.

CaadX

The European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the EU. We will still be a member in the event of a Brexit win.
I think he was trying to make the distinction between laws made as part of the EU and laws that could be made if Britain were no longer part of the EU.

Last edited:

CaadX

Pardon ? I was simply pointing out he made no reference to the European court of Human Rights .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You don't think their current president is, ahem, somewhat lacking in what is required?
I don't think he was lacking in grey matter, common sense or decency, but I do think he was lacking the superpowers needed to fight the massive political forces lined up against him.

Just look at what happened every time he tried to bring in any kind of gun control, for instance.

Or witness the hysterical opposition to his health reforms. I saw one Republican politician railing against Obama's 'commie health care' in a TV interview. He said that people should be left to die in the street if they could not prove that they had health insurance to cover the cost of their care. When asked what should happen if they were unconscious and had no such proof or suitable ID on them, he thought for a minute and then said that they should be left to die too. Seriously! :wacko:

Top Bottom