Attempting to go car-free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
That's half the reason for not owning a car. I've worked at home for years and the lack of cycle commuting is clear for all to see :smile:

You do not have to go car free to ride a bike, you just got to get out and ride.

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh I won't stop spending, but it will be on stuff like skateboards and musical gear that doesn't get burnt within hours of paying for it like petrol does. Well some of it gets burnt, but you've gotta put on a show ain't ya!

But what is going to happen when your tax contributions go down.

Colin_P

Guru
This is interesting.

I'm just embarking upon my third medical driving ban.

From someone who used to really love driving and cars and all that, I'm not bothered about not being able to drive.

....But I will just mothball the already ancient long bought and paid for car and roll it back out of the garage as and when, could be a two year ban this time.

A good 'stout' bike with rack and panniers is all you need for when you run out of essentials. The rest of the time, with planning, anyone will deliver anything.

screenman

Legendary Member
You spend money on other things that are taxed?

I know, I also eat cakes but I cannot tell you which one will make me put on weight.

screenman

Legendary Member
I should add that I dislike driving, and have very little interest in cars. What I do like is how quick and easily a car can get me to my destination.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I should add that I dislike driving, and have very little interest in cars. What I do like is how quick and easily a car can get me to my destination.

And dry, with climate control and a ton and a half of metal cage around you :smile:

I really appreciate that I've got shot of my car at a reasonably clement time of year. I've commuted through a few winters but it'll be interesting to see how my resolve changes when winter starts again.

Effyb4

Veteran
Yesterday I scrapped my car. I had it for two years before it dissolved and had to be scrapped. Previous to this I managed to avoid owning my own car for many years. I could borrow a neighbour's van if I had to get somewhere and used my wife's car in the evenings and weekends if I needed to.

Since yesterday I have wasted all my time looking for a new car. At some point this morning I snapped. I realised that excluding the cost of actually buying a car it costs me around £200 a month in tax, insurance, fuel etc. £200 a month for something I really couldn't give a toss about. The car I was about to buy was a Mondeo worth £500. The cheapest insurance quote I got was just under £900. The most expensive was a hilarious £4,342, third party, for a car worth £500! I have had a clean licence for 23 years and over ten years of no claims bonus.

So I'm trying to break down the need for my own car into problems with manageable solutions.

The first problem is the school run. The school is two miles away so isn't easily walkable with a five year old. This problem can be fixed by buying a cargo bike. I've got a £500 budget. What excites me is that if I spend £500 on a cargo bike it won't cost me £200 a month after that!

The next problem is family holidays. My wife is a gardener so owns a wee van. The van only has two seats. But the cost of hiring a car for holidays is surprisingly reasonable.

I'm a musician so it's useful to be able to get about. But I still have the neighbour's van I can use most evenings and weekends.

We're treating this as an experiment. I'm not saying I'll never own another car, but I'm going to try and do without one for a while.

Good luck with going car free Andrew. We gave up our car nearly 2 years ago and have never looked back. I get a monthly bus ticket that costs less than I used to spend a month on petrol. If you are cycle commuting it will be much cheaper.

We found that buying a trailer for the bike was a good option for lugging stuff around and large shopping trips. It carries about the same as the boot of a small car.
lawnmower tip.jpg
shopping.jpg

It is such a relief not to have the unexpected costs you get with car ownership, having to spend hundreds of pounds at a time. However we have found that we are spending quite a lot on bike stuff. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Good luck with going car free Andrew. We gave up our car nearly 2 years ago and have never looked back. I get a monthly bus ticket that costs less than I used to spend a month on petrol. If you are cycle commuting it will be much cheaper.

We found that buying a trailer for the bike was a good option for lugging stuff around and large shopping trips. It carries about the same as the boot of a small car.
View attachment 350034 View attachment 350035

It is such a relief not to have the unexpected costs you get with car ownership, having to spend hundreds of pounds at a time. However we have found that we are spending quite a lot on bike stuff. :laugh:

Fantastic!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

View attachment 350034 View attachment 350035

That's awesome :laugh:

Week one of no car done already :notworthy:

Top Bottom