Audax - awdax or owdax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
So it's not audi-ax then? Bit like the Mintola camera I once asked to look at in a shop! :laugh:

I had a mental block about the word Gemini for some time. I thought it was pronounced:

(infant school g sound)G-em-eenie.

It took ages for the penny to drop.

As for Audax, I've always gone for Or-dax as the pronunciation.

Google thinks ow-dax with strong emphasis on the x https://translate.google.co.uk/#en/la/audax. I generally hear it said as we pronounce Audacious.

Latin pronunciation is always tricky, there's Church Latin (as the Catholics used to use, and Mel Gibson still does), classical as taught in schools during the height of the British Empire. The there is our best guess as to how the romans spoke it, in Rome. And I imagine there was as much diversity in pronunciation across the Roman Empire as there is of English across the world now.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
so we should say theclowd and not @theclaud ?
Oh yes - if we are Romans of the 1st century CE. But in that case we'd not recognise the aspirated T as a bit of Latin - we'd think of it as a Greek consonant - and we'd have trouble translated the gender-neutrality of the referent "@theclaud" into our own determinedly gendered language and concept set.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So, is LEL ellyel or lel?

swansonj

Guru
The classical Romans probably pronounced it closer to the other way - as far as I know about what we know about classical pronunciation anyway. If you say each vowel individually with an Italian pronunciation, then elide them, you usually come close to what was recommended pronunciation when I was at school.

The AW pronunciation is a British affectation, dating from back when we believed that we owned the world.
I seem to recall that, in Goodbye Mr Chips, one of the issues he fell out with his Headteacher over in the run up to the First World War was a demand to change the Latin pronunciation he taught to match the new understanding of what the ancient Romans did.

Is this Latin pronunciation you refer to being taught at school before or after that change? :blush:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I seem to recall that, in Goodbye Mr Chips, one of the issues he fell out with his Headteacher over in the run up to the First World War was a demand to change the Latin pronunciation he taught to match the new understanding of what the ancient Romans did.

Is this Latin pronunciation you refer to being taught at school before or after that change? :blush:
*ahem*
I'm not that old, Dr Swanson.

There was a shift, which must have done for poor old Mr Chips, from English Latin (in which Caesar adsum jam forte sounded like a description of Julius's afternoon snack) to Italian Latin (which is what the Catholic church used). There was another shift sometime in the 60s or 70s involving hard C and W for V - so that veni, vidi, vici sounds like wayney weedy weeky. That second one, if I remember correctly, is based on a fair few inscriptions in Greek of Latin names starting with V.

The study of historical Latin pronunciation is a fascinating topic, and a very live one for musicians interested in historically-informed performance practice.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Audax United Kingdom was named in homage to Audax Club Parisien, so you might think French pronunciation would apply. My entirely unscientific observations seem to show that many, but not all, older members say 'ow', whereas more of the newer ones say 'or'. There's no obviously animosity between the two groups.

Top Bottom