Audax - awdax or owdax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
It's pronounced 'awdax'* for me, but I've just sat with three people who were discussing an 'owdax'** for next year.
What do you think?

* rhymes with 'raw flax'
** rhymes with 'cow backs'

earlestownflya

it's awdax...they're just trying to be different...like they know something;)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I thought it was Italian -> French -> Everywhere else, and the name comes from the Latin word meaning bold, daring or audacious!
Yes, comes from the Latin, means daring, "audace" both in Italian and French.
But audax (plural, probably intended to describe the audacious riders) is not an Italian word, it's a French word. Italian does not have X in the alphabet.

Aha - a classical thread. Lads and lasses, allow me to parade my pedantry!

Audax - yup, it's Latin. Pronounced aw-dax. As in aurora borealis, audacious, auditor etc. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it - and anyway all them Romans is dead.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Audax - yup, it's Latin. Pronounced aw-dax. As in aurora borealis, audacious, auditor etc. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it - and anyway all them Romans is dead.
I enrolled on a beginners Latin course at my local university. Obviously, me being Italian I had a great advantage, but, omg, the lecturer's pronunciation ... argh!
Of course, hers was right, mine was wrong :whistle:
As you said, them Latins are well deid!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

The classical Romans probably pronounced it closer to the other way - as far as I know about what we know about classical pronunciation anyway. If you say each vowel individually with an Italian pronunciation, then elide them, you usually come close to what was recommended pronunciation when I was at school.

The AW pronunciation is a British affectation, dating from back when we believed that we owned the world.

1111-a.jpg

Top Bottom