Audax curious

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There are a few audaxes nearby you, although Andy Corless tends to organise tough events and I wouldn't recommend one of his as a first audax.

The start point is the Audax UK website shown above plus 'Choose a Ride' and 'Calendar Events'. You don't need to be an Audax UK member to enter an audax, although they do charge a little extra for non-members. It's still decent value if a little old-school; some events still require entry by post and don't provide a gpx route file although most now to online entry with ride details.

With current restrictions many of the events are limiting capacity to 25-30 so it's worth entering early.

Near-ish you there's the mini North West Passage on 19 Feb, which is a 100km event with a more traditional route: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8968 I'm possibly doing the main 200km one or maybe just the shorter version as I've a 200km the next weekend.

On Sun 24 April from Wray, Lancashire there's a 100km Populaire event which has a fairly low average speed: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9635

Some suggestions for riding an event;
  • know the route / bring a copy of the route plus have a gpx file (not that I wouldn't do either on my first audax :whistle: plus riders on LEL who didn't have any idea of what the route was ),
  • don't ride a brand new bike for the first time (done that twice, both with issues :rolleyes: ),
  • know where the controls are and what types (not that I will ever have sailed right past a control and only realised 20km down the road :whistle: ),
  • have some snacks with you to keep you going, along with emergency repair tools/parts (been out-of-time due to a major mechanical on a 200km PBP qualifier and had to sprint the last 130km in order to arrive 2 minutes inside the time limit at the finish :blink: ).

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Near-ish you there's the mini North West Passage on 19 Feb, which is a 100km event with a more traditional route: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8968 I'm possibly doing the main 200km one or maybe just the shorter version as I've a 200km the next weekend.
The mini-NWP is a 100 km audax with a 20 km bonus! :okay: It has an 8-hour cut-off so it would be 12.5 km/hr for 100 km but is back at 15 km/hr for the 120.

A group of us did it as a forum ride in 2009... details HERE.

I found the full NWP route very busy-main-roady so I took to lumpy lanes between checkpoints wherever possible instead, but that made it a lot harder and wouldn't be a good idea in bad weather.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I regularly take part in Audax events and am a paid up member for the last 10 years ...
I often finish outside the time cutoff but it’s a great day out with companionship and structure ....
And i’m rarely the only .... “lantern rouge” ...
Just enjoy the ride and when fitness and route collide you get an award ... result !!

^_^^_^

sittingbull

Veteran
As a complete newbie to the world of Audax is it as simple as enter and pay on-line, turn up on the day and ride?

What if there's snow/ice (or heavy rain :whistle:)?
In the event of a DNF is it necessary to inform the organisers? (assuming they count everyone out/in).

There's a 200k event not too far away in Warrington at the end of February I might just consider.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As a complete newbie to the world of Audax is it as simple as enter and pay on-line, turn up on the day and ride?

In the event of a DNF is it necessary to inform the organisers? (assuming they count everyone out/in).

There's a 200k event not too far away in Warrington at the end of February I might just consider.
Paying online, turning up and riding is what I've always done. If I DNS always contact the organiser beforehand, out of courtesy if nothing else.

I've never DNF'd but I would definitely contact the org if I did that. Again, out of courtesy at very least.

When I worked on a control we checked everyone off the list, and informed the next control (by WhatsApp) of anyone who hadn't turned up when we closed. I'm sure there are lots of different systems.

I've done audaxes in heavy rain. What happened was ... I got wet.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Paying online, turning up and riding is what I've always done. If I DNS always contact the organiser beforehand, out of courtesy if nothing else.

I've never DNF'd but I would definitely contact the org if I did that. Again, out of courtesy at very least.

When I worked on a control we checked everyone off the list, and informed the next control (by WhatsApp) of anyone who hadn't turned up when we closed. I'm sure there are lots of different systems.

I've done audaxes in heavy rain. What happened was ... I got wet.

With the current Covid situation just turning up and paying at the start doesn't seem possible unless you've contacted the organiser to ask beforehand.

For DNF's you're asked to contact the organiser so they're not sat around waiting and wondering at the end.

iluvmybike

Über Member

Most audaxes you can enter online and pay via paypal but some organisers do it the old way so you have to send a cheque and postal entry. It will tell you on the event info page what the options are. The page will also tell you the max and min speeds for the ride. Some organisers send a gpx of the route, some just send a paper sheet with directions on. In the latter case and you have gps you can save a shed load of time by plotting the route out on a planner and downloading it. (But always best to carry the paper version in case gps craps out!) Take a pen to write down the answers to any info controls required on the brevet card. On the day of the event you sign in and collect your brevet card and the organiser will then set you off. The time for the event is inclusive of any stops you make so watch out as you can lose a lot of time if you faff about too much at controls - it all mounts up. On completion of the ride the brevet card is given to the organiser who will then get your ride validated by Audax and return the card to you - this can take several weeks. If you are unable to complete the event then there will be a phone number to contact the organiser - which you must do so he/she doesn't end up sitting waiting for yuo to get in or call out the eemrgency services!
If you decide not to ride an event becuase of bad weather then let the organiser know as far in adavnce as possible. Places are often limited on events (especially with covid restrictions) so your place could be given to another person wanting to ride - but don't expect a refund. The cost of entering is very small anyway and the organiser will still have had to pay for certain things based on the numbers expected. If the organiser calls the event off they will contact you. Hope this helps but there is also loads ofadvice for those new to Audax on the website on how to prepare etc

sittingbull

Veteran
Thank you for the detailed and helpful reply @iluvmybike :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes if you DNF then text or ring the organiser. Last year, I waited at the finish till after 10pm for one of the audaxes I organise. Only to find out the last two had abandoned and decided to catch a train. I also rang their emergency contacts but those numbers went to voicemail. So make sure your emergency contact is available to take calls on the day of the audax as well.

Hopefully your first one will go well though and no need to make that call.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As to snow and ice , winter audaxes are risk assessed for that and will use gritted roads where possible. This is why you may see some bigger roads in the early part (and later part for 200s) of winter audaxes . You’ll also need to use your own judgement as well. If you consider it too risky don’t ride, or turn round if conditions worsen. If snowmageddon is forecast the organiser will likely try to reschedule.

Last edited:
Top Bottom