North West Passage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
next Saturday Feb. 21st.

(MINI north west passage. Thanks Colin)

If anyone from Leeds is doing this I will be driving over from Leeds with space to spare.

So if you want a lift and want to share the cost of getting there give me a shout.
If there is anyone interested it will have to be 1st come first served tho. seeing as how there are two seats available only. Plenty of room for bikes though so if more wanted to use the van just for the transport of bikes that would be ok. (6 or 7 bikes maybe more)

One thing though: The plan is to meet up with ColinJ in Hebden Bridge and ride to the start at Rochdale and then ride back to HB afterwards. All in all it should be just over 100 miles.

longers

Legendary Member
I'll see you and Colin in Rochdale, routesheet came yesterday :biggrin:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Actually we'll be doing the mini-North-West Passage. The full North-West Passage is 200 km (125 miles) even without the extra rides to and from Rochdale.

I did the full NWP in 2007 but I wasn't quick enough to get round in daylight and I really didn't enjoy doing the last couple of big hills in the dark, cold conditions.

I can do the mini event and get home with about 30-45 minutes to spare before lighting up time.

I hope that we will do my alternative route between Whalley and Little Harwood which takes in a scenic climb rather than just whizzing round more A-roads.

Colly - we'll want to be setting off from the car park in Hebden Bridge no later than 07:30 so that we can get to the start in plenty of time without rushing (and allowing time to fix a puncture, should one of us be unlucky enough to have one).

Calum

Ok Colin, i'll take a seat! I've changed my mind about not being fit enough for a century, did 60 miles yesterday and felt very strong at the end of it. So while it'll be a tough day and i'll be dead at the end, I reckon it's achieveable. PM or text me the diesel costs.

ColinJ

Calum said:
Ok Colin, i'll take a seat! I've changed my mind about not being fit enough for a century, did 60 miles yesterday and felt very strong at the end of it. So while it'll be a tough day and i'll be dead at the end, I reckon it's achieveable. PM or text me the diesel costs.
(I know you mean colly, the other Colin!) You are definitely fit enough for a century. As I saw on Saturday's ride, you are much fitter than me at the moment and I know that I can do it, ergo - you can too! I'm gonna be knackered at the end of next week's ride, but it won't kill me (disclaimer - if it does actually kill me, sorry folks - I got it wrong!). Only one thing - wait for me at the top of the climbs! It will stop you going too fast, and you'll be able to rely on me and my trusty Garmin GPS for navigation!

Also - we get to call in at Country Kitchen, the cafe at Waddington again.

trio25

Über Member
I've never done an audax, is it too late to enter? If not I think I'll be up for this.

ColinJ

Landslide said:
Did it two years ago as my first ever Audax. Pie and peas at the end were just the ticket! Have fun all!
Unfortunately, I didn't get to sample them because I wanted to ride back to Hebden Bridge in daylight and wouldn't have made it in time if I'd got settled in at the pub. Make sure you pick up your P&P ticket at the start!

Hey trio25 or anyone else off CycleChat who fancies doing the mini-NWP, I've been told that there is no problem entering on the line, but if you want to make sure, the organiser's contact details are on the audax UK mini-NWP page.

You usually have to send 2 SAEs plus your entry form and cheque but it's probably getting a bit late for that unless you hurry.

The CC numbers are building up now. Calum, colly and I are doing the event together. Unless you particularly want to bomb round the route as fast as possible, how about meeting up with us at the start and riding round with us? Informal groups normally form on the road, but we could agree to do it in advance. I'll be riding at an average speed (including stops) of about 18 kph (11 mph) and I'm slow up the hills so if you are reasonably fit you shouldn't have any problems staying with us.

The CycleChat mini-North-West-Passage posse
(Setting off from Hebden Bridge)
ColinJ
colly
Calum

(Joining us at event HQ, Rochdale)
???

ColinJ

I've knocked up some profiles for the event...

mnwp_profiles.jpg

The extra bits on the left are from Hebden Bridge to Rochdale, and on the right (you guessed it...) from Rochdale to Hebden Bridge. Those extras are each 23.5 km in length.

The lower main profile is for the official mini-NWP which is 120 km long. The upper one has my little scenic detour out of Whalley at the 78 km point. It knocks 2 km off the total distance, but has more climbing. It's a nicer route to take if there isn't ice on the smaller roads.

Total distance from Hebden Bridge via my hill is 165 km (103 miles).

trio25

Über Member
Just checked and I can do it, any chance you can email me the route in .gpx format seeing as it looks like you have plotted it ColinJ? I'll PM my email address.

trio25

Über Member
Thanks redbike, now I just need to work out my route there to make sure I get another century ride this month.

Top Bottom