North West Passage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The forecast is still pretty reasonable so I won't be wearing my full winter kit tomorrow for the first time this year - hooray! It probably won't be as warm as last year, when I got pretty overheated at times.

I'll see how warm it feels in the morning but I might go for shorts with legwarmers, my cheapo black Aldi gilet and a long-sleeved jersey. Yellow windtop on first thing. Oh, and lightweight overshoes rather than the big heavy neoprene ones. I'll start off with long-fingered gloves on because the valley roads will be really nippy at 07:30 when we set off but I'll carry some mitts to have the option of changing later.

I'll meet colly and Calum at about 07:25 in the HB car park, and hopefully meet up with _ben_, trio25 and longers in the event HQ (pub) car park at Rochdale. And anyone else who wants to turn up unannounced... ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
I look forward to reading descriptions of this later as it was a ferociously windy ride for me on the nearby Lancs/W Yorks border. At one time, on the way over Widdop Moor, which Colin will know well, I was struggling to keep forward momentum going DOWNhill! It was a bitterly, biting wind as well and made this part of the route very uncomfortable.

bonj2

it was a great ride, really enjoyed it.
It was a bit windy at times, main headwind was the bit climbing out of todmorden.
but up high on the A682 from burnley to gisburn there was quite a lot of crosswinds, handling a bit tricky at times!
certainly wasn't much resistance to descending though, there were some great descents, some really nice and long, some steep and a bit hairy to the point of making me think about upgrading my brake pads before spring in the peak....
reasonably warm, and didn't rain.
cafe in waddington was packed, don't know how they coped with the mass hoardes of cyclists...is it always packed with cyclists i wonder?
anyhow nice to meet you lot that were there, hope you all got back ok

longers

Legendary Member
Good to meet you Ben :rolleyes:. Twas a bit breezy at times but it was only annoying on the way up to Gisburn.

I really wanted to stay in the pub and eat a lot more pie and wash it down with some very nice John Willies.

Hope the Centurions got home ok. I had a bad overtake near home and bottled out of going further.

trio25

Über Member
I got home fine, got my century - 107miles in total - going to curl up on the sofa and watch the tour of california that I recorded last night now.

ColinJ

Calum, colly and I just managed to get back to Hebden Bridge as it was getting dark. We clocked our extended ride at 104 miles.

We chickened out of doing Whalley Bank this time, but I like the look of it and will give it a go one day when I'm slimmer and fitter.

We had a very near miss on the way back between Rochdale and Littleborough. Some complete twat tried doing a 'left hook' on us. He approached at speed signalling left, shot past me and was about to take me out by turning sharp left, only to discover that Calum and colly were in front of me and in his way! Colly was very lucky not to get crushed by the tosser who ended up having to brake to a stop as we continued on his inside...

It was nice to see those of you I've ridden with before again, and it was nice to meet trio25 and _Ben_ for the first time.

I think you might be unlucky with last night's cycling coverage trio - I recorded mine off analogue satellite and all I got was ski jumping! :sad:

I'll do a proper write-up of the ride on my blog tomorrow - I'm a bit tired now and have some beers chilling in the fridge! :blush:

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Calum and I got back into Leeds ok. I am well sh4gged and can't wait get to sleep.

Calum is made of stronger stuff........he is out on the lash tonight !!

Nice to meet you all. Glad everyone got home safe.:blush::biggrin:

ColinJ

colly said:
Calum and I got back into Leeds ok. I am well sh4gged and can't wait get to sleep.

Calum is made of stronger stuff........he is out on the lash tonight !!

Nice to meet you all. Glad everyone got home safe.:evil::biggrin:
I felt pretty tired too but for some silly reason I decided to watch The Bourne Identity again while drinking beer. The result was that I spent from 22:30 to 03:30 trying to watch certain scenes, dozing off, stepping the recording back 5 minutes, trying again...

Anyway, here's a picture of 5 of us standing atop the A682 between Barrowford and Gisburn in a cold wind, a murky Ribble Valley in the background. (_ben_/bonj was still somewhere down the road at that time, having got to the start late).

top_of_a682.jpg

(From left to right) Gear-masher colly (he ripped his biggest sprocket right through the splines on his hub!), Ramones fan Calum, CycleChat model for the day - trio25, longers trying to pretend that he's shy, and me (ColinJ) looking like someone out of Land of the Giants compared to the others, and displaying my own oddball ideas about colour-coordination! :laugh:

It was damn cold in the strong winds yesterday, so I'd like to thank the others for waiting for me on the hilltops as I grovelled my way up the climbs to them.

ColinJ

bonj said:
you do look tall there Colin xx(
didn't clock you as being quite that tall!
I'm only 6'1" which is not huge my modern standards. Calum, colly and trio25 are not big, and longers is about average height. I think it must be the slope of the ground and the fact that I was standing up straight, and the others weren't!

ColinJ

Calum said:
Where can we read your 'write up' of yesterday's ride then Colin?
I was just doing it but I've got tired and I want to watch an episode of Hill Street Blues now, so I've stopped halfway through it!

You can read what I've done so far here. I'll finish it later today (Monday).

Top Bottom