North West Passage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
I think that is the one that PaulB was telling us about on Saturday.

Whalley Nab. Nasty nasty nasty nasty nasty. But the main thing about it is that it's nasty.

trio25

Über Member
Where is this nasty climb, I've done the one on ColinJ's route before, hard but I got up it and I'm no hill climber.

I've heard from the organiser, no problem that I posted my form late so I'll be there.

I assume superfit longers is doing the long route!

Christopher

Über Member
hiya trio
If you are heading south out of Whalley to Billington (down King Steet), you cross the river and the start of the Whalley Nab climb is immediately after the bridge, on your left. According to Google maps (which I can't seem to link to), it is called Moor Lane. What makes it tough is that it goes from flat to 1 in 7 immediately - really smacks you in the face, and you have to go right to bottom gear on the flat as you won't be able to shift over-much on the hill. Oh and it is often slippery as it's in shade for most of its length. I did it only once and it nearly killed me!

Sure there are harder climbs around, I am sure Park Rash is harder, it just that you do not expect Whalley Nab to be so nasty. I don't know of a harder climb in the area, even Nick o'Pendle is easier.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Frustruck said:
hWhat makes it tough is that it goes from flat to 1 in 7 immediately - really smacks you in the face, and you have to go right to bottom gear on the flat as you won't be able to shift over-much on the hill. Oh and it is often slippery as it's in shade for most of its length. I did it only once and it nearly killed me!

Sure there are harder climbs around, I am sure Park Rash is harder, it just that you do not expect Whalley Nab to be so nasty. I don't know of a harder climb in the area, even Nick o'Pendle is easier.

What he said ^. Also, there's often people riding horses on there which can impede or stop your progress up and down.

trio25

Über Member
That is the one I was thinking we were riding, yes it is a hard climb. I've done it a few times and if I can get up it I think it can't be too bad! I have a climb a bit like that near me where there is a hairpin bend into it, if you don't know its there and get in the lowest gear first you'll be walking!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can cope with 1 in 7 (using my secret weapon - a 30/28 bottom gear) so if you are all chomping at the bit to go up Whalley Bank on Saturday, we could do! :bicycle:

By the way - the weather forecast is improving! Milder, less wind, rain unlikely and maybe, just maybe a few sunny intervals. Blow the mudguard bodge! I also think that I might risk wearing less than full winter kit.

Calum

Hurray for the improved weather forecast! I'm just waiting for the bike shop to finish fixing my rear brake now.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Well the weather looks like it's ok for Saturday so I will be there with Calum.
The same car park we met in before Colin? Calum and I will be off from Leeds around 6.30 so should get there just before 7.30.
Remind me .............do I need change for a ticket machine?

I didn't pay last time and didn't get a ticket but that might have been good luck.;)

Calum

C0ck, I haven't entered yet and it says I should have done two weeks ago! I also don't have 3rd party insurance... Shall I just turn up without entering and tag along? Or is this some sort of mortal sin that will result in Audaxers throwing their home-grown organic beans at me?

bonj2

colly said:
Well the weather looks like it's ok for Saturday so I will be there with Calum.
The same car park we met in before Colin? Calum and I will be off from Leeds around 6.30 so should get there just before 7.30.
Remind me .............do I need change for a ticket machine?

I didn't pay last time and didn't get a ticket but that might have been good luck.:?:
7:30? ;) it says on my sheet it starts at 9 o clock
or are you just setting off early to get a headstart

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
colly - definitely bring about £4 worth of change. Since the town switched over to metered parking, there are often teams of traffic wardens out and about, especially at the weekends. You are lucky not to have picked up a ticket last time! I think it's a £60 fine. Yes - same car park because it's cheap (I think it is 30p/hour) and long-stay. It's pay and display. If we set out at 07:30 and we aim to get back in daylight we have to be back by 17:30 so I'd pay for 10 or 11 hours.

Calum - it is usually okay to enter on the line but I'd give the organiser a ring to confirm. That's Noel Healey on 01706 372447. All audax events require 3rd party insurance which is included in the annual membership fee. If you are not a member, you have to pay an extra £2 per event for temporary membership so the event will cost you £7. That includes pie and peas at the finish. If you are a CTC or BC member, it is possible that you already have 3rd party insurance cover.

_Ben_ - It is an 09:00 start for the mini-NWP (the full NWP sets off at 08:00). We are setting off from Hebden Bridge at 07:30 and we have nearly 24 km to do to get to the start. It should take about 75 minutes to get there so that leaves about 15 minutes for signing on at the start and picking up our pie & peas tickets! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Calum said:
C0ck, I haven't entered yet and it says I should have done two weeks ago! I also don't have 3rd party insurance... Shall I just turn up without entering and tag along? Or is this some sort of mortal sin that will result in Audaxers throwing their home-grown organic beans at me?

I think the punishment is that you have to ride behind the organic bean eaters all the way round.:rolleyes:

Ben: We are meeting Colinj in Hebden Bridge and then we are riding to the start for 9am. Setting off around 7.30 from HB.

trio25

Über Member
I have about the same distance to the start from my house, so I'll set off about the same time and see you there.

bonj2

ah, ok, hebden bridge, i see. I'll be driving A1/M62 straight to rochdale, would join you but gonna have to get up early enough as it is...!

Top Bottom