Audi driver blasts court for costing him £4500 for passing cyclist too close.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
He chose to ignore a penalty notice and then did not attend court; what did he expect?

Let's be clear here - he wasn't fined that amount for 'just' passing a cyclist too closely - he refused to attend a course, and ignored an FPN. By his own admission after measuring of the road, he did not leave the prescribed distance yet insists that the lesser distance was ample - IOW he very clearly considers himself above the law in every way possible.

Such people are a constant and ever-present danger to everyone else on the road except for those in a bigger, heavier and more powerful vehicle than his own.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Got to say, but what exactly has the word Audi got to do with anything?
Well it was a Q7 . ☺️

Alex321

Veteran
He didn't leave "at least 4 feet". The cars in front and behind him did (but not much more), he can't have left much more than 2 feet.

He then accepted the offer of a course, but failed to attend, then didn't pay the fixed penalty. Part of the amount of the fine was surely for wasting court time.

I've ridden that road, BTW, last December (on the same ride as the one I posted my last "name that road" in. But I had absolutely no issue with cars that day.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This driver passed a cyclist way too close and got the offer of an awareness course. He refused that so was issued with a fixed penalty notice. He refused that too.

Obviously, the next stage was being prosecuted at court where he was convicted and had to pay a fine plus costs totalling £1,772 plus a £115 victims’ surcharge.

Now he’s “appalled” by the costs (which don’t include his lawyer’s fee, taking his outlay to about £4,500) and is thinking of appealing.

I’ll bet next time he gets the offer of an awareness course he’ll jump at it. Twat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609 (includes short video)

Top Bottom