Audi driver blasts court for costing him £4500 for passing cyclist too close.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I'm glad that I didn't follow the DM link. I can do without being annoyed by their particular brand of vexatious nonsense and sheer poor journalism. Don't they think that the majority of cyclists drive? Driving is unfortunately the lowest common denominator when it comes to transport and for many it blinkers them to the possibilities of anything else, and to the point of view of other road users. This sadly is the demographic to which such DM articles tend to appeal. No doubt the comments following the article are the usual ill informed fare.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Hasn't he learned anything in that time? Perhaps he's spent 60 years crowding cyclists but the fine is for not complying with the court's directions. Not getting a fine for 35 -40 years could just mean not getting caught, or having a smart lawyer. At 77 he ought to know better.
I suppose he would then say that he has never been in an accident (though perhaps has caused many).

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It really does look close. Notice the car behind passing properly and safely.
Yes, you'll see that all the other cars moved nearly right over the white line. He was within it and held his line instead of moving out.
You just imagine him gritting his teeth and snarling 'Im not moving over for this barsteward cyclist'. Or words to that effect.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Daily Heil, being a clickbait honeypot for fascist loons, would have written that story just so the editors could snigger at the comments. BAN SICK LYCRA PERVERTS FROM OUR HARD-WORKING BRITISH ROADS etc.

The hilarious thing is , it wasn't 'the court' which cost him £4.500 . Nor was it the cyclist. Or the road or any other of the many and various 'things' he is trying to blame.
It was his own actions which resulted in this cost. He is living in cloud cuckoo land, trying to pass the blame onto all and sundry. He probably still thinks he pays 'road tax' and that it gives him some sort of inalienable right on said road ...

D

Deleted member 1258

I think all OAP’s should have to pass a driving test every 2 years to continue to keep their license. Most people I know in their 70’s are blind as a bat.

The UK licence finishes at 70 and then has to be renewed, I renewed mine last November, I'm not as blind as a bat and nor are most of my fellow pensioners.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hey, not so much of putting the boot in for the over seventies. I think a medical and eyesight test should suffice. I'm 70+ and my long sight is fine.

In the UK you have to self certify that you can see and are fit to drive when you renew your licence at 70, I did when I renewed mine, it just needs a change that means you need to take a eye test when you renew and get a doctors note that you're still fit.

D

Deleted member 1258

Doesn't look very close, but it's hard to tell with the typical wide lenses on these.

I was thinking that, from the picture it looks like a pass that would be considered wide round here, but the picture could be deceptive.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
In the UK you have to self certify that you can see and are fit to drive when you renew your licence at 70, I did when I renewed mine, it just needs a change that means you need to take a eye test when you renew and get a doctors note that you're still fit.

Good luck with that as you can barely see a doctor when you are unfit! :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
I think all OAP’s should have to pass a driving test every 2 years to continue to keep their license. Most people I know in their 70’s are blind as a bat.

You don't know many people in their 70's then.

I know quite a few (including my wife), and none of them have significantly impaired eyesight, some wear glasses of course, but in most cases have done so for many years..

Actually, that's not quite true, there is one 82 year old I don't see often, the wife of an 83 year old that I do, who has cataracts. But she isn't currently driving, and is scheduled for an operation to clear them in the next few weeks.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
as we've moved onto eyesight and driving anecdotes....

one of my Dad's mates who knew his eyesight wasn't great, got a mate to park his car just up from the driving test centre. As he came out with the instructor, he sure enough asked read that number plate to me, which he duly recited from memory!

Top Bottom