Audi driver blasts court for costing him £4500 for passing cyclist too close.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
If his car was a Q8 the fine probably didn't matter, more annoyed being found out to be in the wrong. Fixed penalty fines should be replaced with one based on your income. Did some high flyer in Finland get fined a fortune, think that they have a percentage of income system.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
No doubt in my mind that was a close pass. You just have to look at how little roadspace was left for the cyclist. What a berk.

The UK licence finishes at 70 and then has to be renewed, I renewed mine last November, I'm not as blind as a bat and nor are most of my fellow pensioners.

My pals were in their 20s and thought their eyes were fine.
Until they tried mine on.
They got their own glasses soon after.

Strangely I don't need glasses for distance any more - just reading but I am old now.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The bar is set really low. I filled in form V1 when I had Fuch's dystrophy, which makes driving at night near-impossible due to glare, and tricky in the morning because of fogging. DVLA wrote back and said fine, keep on driving.

Wow - I've just read this article about a motorist being fined well over a thousand pounds for passing too close to a cyclist. Lets hope the fine generates lots of publicity

Attachments

• fine.jpeg
    fine.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 4

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is amazing that the driver admits that he overtook closer than the legal minimum distance but still says that he did nothing wrong, and thinks that he can appeal. :wacko:

The only reason that he got such a big fine is that he refused to cooperate... He could have gone on an awareness course but refused to. Presumably because he is such an amazingly safe driver, and it is the rest of the world that is wrong... :whistle:

a.twiddler

Veteran
I see that's appeared on Yahoo news now claiming it's £1800. It just happens that Yahoo news and others appear on my email server mostly as click bait regarding celebs and royals which I usually ignore. Yahoo news and its clones are not exactly fountains of balanced, factual information.

I looked at this one as it seemed familiar. Probably attracts the DM demographic judging by the number of foaming-at-the-mouth-don't-pay-road-tax-or-insurance-riding-on-the pavement-selfishly-riding-2-feet-out-from-the-kerb-riding-2-abreast-don't-use-cycle-tracks-like-they-ought-to-instead-of blocking-the-roads displays from the uninformed in the comments section. There were even a couple of I'm-a-cyclist-and-it-didn't look-that-close-to-me comments which led me to wonder how many of the other comments were genuine, or just to encourage the lowest common denominators to join in. Almost like incitement to hate crimes against a minority, if you're given to extreme views.

A bit sad that these are the drivers, hopefully a minority, who could feel quite justified in bringing a close pass to a road (too) near you, as a punishment for the above perceived crimes that "all" cyclists supposedly commit.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't think eyesight has much to do with it. He clearly saw the cyclist but did not leave enough room. If eyesight was an issue, he would have not seen the cyclist at all. it's just a case of lack of respect, laziness and superiority complex, like a lot of close passes. The fact that he kicked up so much of a stink because it's only a cyclist, says a lot about hos probable attitude towards cyclists anyway

Alex321

Veteran
I see that's appeared on Yahoo news now claiming it's £1800. It just happens that Yahoo news and others appear on my email server mostly as click bait regarding celebs and royals which I usually ignore. Yahoo news and its clones are not exactly fountains of balanced, factual information.

I looked at this one as it seemed familiar. Probably attracts the DM demographic judging by the number of foaming-at-the-mouth-don't-pay-road-tax-or-insurance-riding-on-the pavement-selfishly-riding-2-feet-out-from-the-kerb-riding-2-abreast-don't-use-cycle-tracks-like-they-ought-to-instead-of blocking-the-roads displays from the uninformed in the comments section. There were even a couple of I'm-a-cyclist-and-it-didn't look-that-close-to-me comments which led me to wonder how many of the other comments were genuine, or just to encourage the lowest common denominators to join in. Almost like incitement to hate crimes against a minority, if you're given to extreme views.

A bit sad that these are the drivers, hopefully a minority, who could feel quite justified in bringing a close pass to a road (too) near you, as a punishment for the above perceived crimes that "all" cyclists supposedly commit.

The £1887 was the final amount of the fines and court costs. The rest was his legal costs.

Top Bottom