Auntie Helen's Suffolk Sojourn - Saturday 26 September 2009

Which days would suit you?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I doubt I will make any of those dates as I am going to Scotland again that week.

I must admit I would love to have come though as the counrtyside around there is beautiful. One day I will get to one of your rides though 'H'!

Unless you are willing to take up the October CC ride.

gbs

Guru
Rural Suffolk - bliss. Sunday rail services from Liv St are disrupted so my vote would be for either Saturday.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Date now fixed as Saturday 26th September - this suits most people and the trains are free of engineering works that day.

I rode this ride with Katie (Her_Welshness) a few days ago and it's very scenic, particularly with regard to thatched cottages and lovely village churches.

It's more rolling up-and-down than I had expected.

There's a bit of a dearth of tea rooms in the first part of the route so I suggest people who get hungry avail themselves of Manningtree Station's Half Breakfast. We will stop for a drink (but no cake, as far as I can tell) at a pub in Kersey after 15 miles, then will have lunch in Long Melford (at about 30 miles). We could stop at a tea room in Dedham when we're almost back to Manningtree if anyone would like (the same chain as the Tiptree tea room) or just go straight back to Manningtree.

I'll load up some photos in due course, when I've sorted myself out a bit more - and when I've tweaked the route.

colinr

I'm currently free on that Saturday so shall pencil this in. What sort of time do you start, are there usually train times you can/can't take bikes on with Saturdays? One is not accustomed to public transport you see.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
We will probably start at 10am (tbc).

You will have no trouble whatsoever getting the train from Norwich to Manningtree with a bike. These trains have HUUUUUUUGE guards vans at the back (furthest away from London) which can fit up to 30 bikes. I think all the Norwich trains are like this so you shouldn't have any problems.

If you pre-buy the ticket you might find it's surprisingly cheap. You can order from National Express East Anglia and they post it to you. I did Manningtree to London for £8 t'other day using the Advance Ticket thingie.

Although the start time is 10am, I strongly recommend you get there for nineish and enjoy the Manningtree Station breakfast. It will set you up well for the day!

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Recce ride for this taking place tomorrow (Thursday 17 Sept) from Manningtree Station at 11am (an hour later than the real ride will start). Probably five of us coming on that, more are very welcome.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Righty Ho.

Have now re-run this ride with the help of Wowbagger and Mark_Oakden and sorted out the final route which you will find here: www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=20026

Leaving Manningtree Station at 10:00am on Saturday 26th. If you wish for a Half Breakfast, please come early!

Tea and cake stop after fifteen miles at a nice garden centre (lots of large cake slices!)

Lunch in Long Melford (after about twenty-five miles) at the Cock and Bell. Reasonably priced food (for Suffolk/Essex) and served quite quickly, with beer from the Greene King stable. Info here: http://www.longmelford.info/CockAndBell/

After Long Melford we find ourselves on a cycle track (a former railway line) which is pleasant but a slightly rough surface in places.

We then wend our way down the Stour valley with surprisingly rolling hills for Essex. I had to use my granny ring today, the first time in a couple of months, so you have been warned.

We'll cycle right through from Long Melford to Manningtree, so that's 25 miles without a break (there isn't an obvious place to stop for another cake slice).

All those coming would be well advised to bring lights as it may be getting dark as we return to Manningtree. With a distance of 51 miles and at group ride pace we may not be back to the station until 7pm or even later if we get a visitation from the fairy.

It's a nice ride, though, with some quiet lanes, although there are a few short patches on busier roads.

gbs

Guru
Helen, thanks for the warning re ETA Manningtree 1900; unfortunately this conflicts with our plans for the evening so once again I will be a DNS.xx(

It looks to be a v nice route with a number of worthwhile diversions assuming time permits and, if the prevailing SW blows, v little headwind work.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi Helen, OK should be up for this but I may have to peel off early as I need to get to work in Ipswich at 6

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I will probably drive to Manningtree but maybe just leave early from Long Melford depending on time. Head towards Stoke by Nayland and then East Bergholt back to Manningtree and as long as I get to Manningtree by 5:30 I will be OK

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
So... current roll call of attendees

Auntie Helen
Uncle James
Wowbagger
Mrs Wow
4F (fatfellafromfelixstowe)
TimO