Auntie Helen's Suffolk Sojourn - Saturday 26 September 2009

Which days would suit you?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Hi folks,

I'm starting to plot another ride, leaving from that fantabulous establishment Manningtree Station with its Half Breakfast.

Rather than faffing around in Essex I thought we could make our way into the Wilds of Suffolk (there be dragons there; or at least lizards which breathe fire).

I've had a quick look at my cycling maps and plotted this course as a first attempt: www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=16047

It includes Flatford Mill, Lavenham, Long Melford, Bures, Dedham and other rather attractive and quaint locations. Distance is a touch under 54 miles and not particularly hilly (2,000 feet of climbing overall). The worst of the hills are at the beginning anyway.

If this appeals to any of you, do please mark on the poll which days might work for you and I'll go with the one that works the best overall. The route may change in due course as I'll obviously ride it a bit to check it out etc.

[EDIT] Date now fixed for Saturday 26th September.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Nice idea Helen, lovely countryside.

ChrisM

I'm working both weekends :blush:.looks a great ride too.....I've not seen Flatford mill b4 either made famous by John Constable.

Have a great ride people...

Will1985

Über Member
Oooh maybes. I'm doing a 25TT on the 19th and attending flatmate's wedding in Bristol on 26th, so only the 20th is do-able.

I'd be riding fixed too...

alinaee

damn i was really looking forward to one of your rides but like ian i'm only back from italy on the 27th......my vote is for oct!!!

Sig SilverPrinter

Can't really do any sundays too many other things I have to do

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
any chance of getting in the Wivenhoe or Brightlingsea ferries? Ilovebikes loves a bit of sailoring. Stick him in a bath with some Essex girls and he's a happy chappy!

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Can't do the October date in the diary, Steve, as it's the day after the fnrttc and James and I are hoping to do that one, so will be in Saafend rather than Manningtree at the start time!

I'd love to come and do it and could stop over with friends in Felixstowe............but the 20th is Car Free Day and we're stacked with work and the 26/27th I'm working in Lancaster:sad:

stevevw

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
Can't do the October date in the diary, Steve, as it's the day after the fnrttc and James and I are hoping to do that one, so will be in Saafend rather than Manningtree at the start time!

Think I will do the FNRttC too in October. Looks like no clash's next year with FNRttC if we keep our 1st Saturday dates. :ohmy:

I doubt I will be able to make any of your dates have my holiday and then on the 26th I am leading a ride for work. No way will I be allowed out to play on the 27th. Have fun.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm riding this route tomorrow with Katie/Her_Welshness from YACF. We will look out for suitable cake and lunch stops.

Still rather even voting on the day so I haven't made up my mind. Could some more of you vote for days you can make so I can have a better idea?

Top Bottom