Australian Cyclists Party

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Council plan on announcing the cost of the improvements after the next local election, as well as saying that its to the benefit of all who cycle within the area. That hill climb I've done about two dozen times in over 30 years.
When major improvement works are being put back because of what is seen as a minority activity, it will generate friction.

That's more to do with other's prejudice rather than it going ahead in order to help generate additional regional income - you're not sounding like the kind of person I would vote for; too easily swayed by what others think rather than doing the right thing.

classic33

Leg End Member
The prejudice generated can last a lot longer than any amount of money raised.
A figure of £14,000,000 million generated on the day it passes through has already been given out by the council, but they're withholding the cost of funding a minority activity(their wording) until after the elections. Why would they do that, because they can't be seen as not supporting it before hand, but want to distance themselves from it once its done.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
For what it's worth: there are a number of Australians who have been fairly pessimistic about the goals and motives of the Australian Cyclists Party, stating concerns such as "single-issue party", "sell-out once elected", blah, blah, blah... Nevertheless, many of these people have also joined the party, because they see the value for cyclists in adding membership numbers to the party, even though its policies aren't yet fully formed.

For too long now, our state cycling advocacy organisations have argued with each other and been reluctant to present views different to those of the state governments and/or motoring organisations. In other words, these cycling organisations are ineffective. Many of us have joined the ACP in the hope that this will change.

Dismount

For what it's worth: there are a number of Australians who have been fairly pessimistic about the goals and motives of the Australian Cyclists Party, stating concerns such as "single-issue party", "sell-out once elected", blah, blah, blah... Nevertheless, many of these people have also joined the party, because they see the value for cyclists in adding membership numbers to the party, even though its policies aren't yet fully formed.

For too long now, our state cycling advocacy organisations have argued with each other and been reluctant to present views different to those of the state governments and/or motoring organisations. In other words, these cycling organisations are ineffective. Many of us have joined the ACP in the hope that this will change.

I hope it works out for you - we're all watching to see what unfolds

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@classic33 I have had some time on my hands recently so I have attended some Cycling Scotland open seminars.
It pains me to say that all they want to achieve is 10% of total journeys in Scotland to be made by bike.
Hardly anything to get excited about, or to spend much money on.
Opinions on how to spend the little money available seem fragmented, inconclusive.
Seriously, I don't think the UK is ready for a cycling party.
It will be interesting to see how the Australian fare in their venture.

classic33

Leg End Member
@classic33 I have had some time on my hands recently so I have attended some Cycling Scotland open seminars.
It pains me to say that all they want to achieve is 10% of total journeys in Scotland to be made by bike.
Hardly anything to get excited about, or to spend much money on.
Opinions on how to spend the little money available seem fragmented, inconclusive.
Seriously, I don't think the UK is ready for a cycling party.
It will be interesting to see how the Australian fare in their venture.
Maybe, but maybe just the registration of the party may be enough to make the main parties sit up & take notice of that the fact that 2012 effect has gone and what is left is an increase in the actual number of people actually using a pedal cycle as a viable means of transport.

Dismount

Maybe, but maybe just the registration of the party may be enough to make the main parties sit up & take notice of that the fact that 2012 effect has gone and what is left is an increase in the actual number of people actually using a pedal cycle as a viable means of transport.

Go for it nothing to lose and probably an ideal time, looking at the Guardian bike blog in isolation the top 3 recent blogs are all in relation to bike casualties. Stand up and be counted

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog

Maybe, but maybe just the registration of the party may be enough to make the main parties sit up & take notice.

Or not even register with them at all.

classic33

Leg End Member
The 10% may seem insignificant but that equates to a lot of journeys made by bicycle, small steps... The cycle manifesto is below some interesting reading (yes I am easily pleased) lol

http://pedalonparliament.org/the-manifesto/[/quote
Thanks for that, something to work from. Just had a quick read & some of the same points raised there as on here. Road improvements benefit not just the cyclists, health benefits(through exercise) and has, sadly, in the last two weeks has come to the fore in London. That of truck & cyclist conflict. With the cyclist coming out the loser.

classic33

Leg End Member
Go for it nothing to lose and probably an ideal time, looking at the Guardian bike blog in isolation the top 3 recent blogs are all in relation to bike casualties. Stand up and be counted

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog
Thanks for that, something to work with.
But would you be willing to stand. Three-four weeks work required. Along with a lot of form filling.

That is now, what will the situation be like in 4 months time. When registration for the local elections will be taken. I hope for one that it will not get worse. But if it remains the same will we have the main parties simply blaming one another, whilst doing nothing themselves about the problem. Something they do on any major issue of the day, or make a token gesture towards it.
If the elections were to be next month, I'd say that anyone standing in London for a cyclist party would make serious inroads into the votes cast for the main parties. Thats based upon public reaction to what is happenning now on the roads, down there.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Classic, if you are up to it recruit some helpers.
Really, write a party manifesto first.
It does not do to rush into registering a party and standing for election if there's no clear and unanimous agenda, the party would come across to the electorate as a joke.
At least the founder members need to agree on issues: lets read the Australian statement, see if we can adapt it to our needs.

Dismount

It does not do to rush into registering a party and standing for election if there's no clear and unanimous agenda, the party would come across to the electorate as a joke.
At least the founder members need to agree on issues: lets read the Australian statement, see if we can adapt it to our needs.

I am willing to chip in, a few can bring about change

classic33

Leg End Member
Can we count on the Belles on Bikes?
Serrious question asked earlier about T-shirt printing, as we are effectivley mobile billboards/advertising.

The manifesto has to be written and submitted at the time of registration. So the party can't be registered without one. Slightly different to the Austrailian situation as they can put forward their manifesto after registration, from what I've read of the Registration proceedure down under.

Top Bottom