automatic gears a bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SRAM also did a 2-speed Automatix hub which changed up at a certain rpm, but SRAM no longer make the Automatix, or in fact any hub gears, Apparently the volumes were becoming so small that they could no longer get suppliers to make the components; unlike the old Sachs days, most of it had been outsourced. Also, Shimano were eating their lunch with the Alfine.

The concept of automatic gears on a bike is fundamentally flawed because the rider "feels" different at different times, e.g. at the start and end of a ride. I imagine most of you have a lower preferred cadence after 50 miles, as you get tired and slip into "limp-home" mode. An engine feels the same all the time.

keithmac

Guru
They do an Alfine hubbed DI2 automatic ebike, (Raleigh make it I think?.

Would love to try one just to see if it's any good or not!.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Mustie 1 is a great place on YouTube. He repairs a few old bikes, but he mostly motorizes them. The problem with that Autobike was that constant and consistent pedal cadence made it work best, but even then I believe it was a solution in search of a problem. Sold on Tv, not through dealers, IIRC. Just not practical. With a motor, like an e-bike, it could be a useful application, maybe.

Top Bottom