Average Heart Rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
You will see that your pressure comes down if you keep up with cycling.

It did for me. Two years ago I was borderline hypertensive, now it's normal. I recently achieved a MHR of 187 after trashing up one of the few hills here in Suffolk (Playford) the other day - if I'd have attempted the same two years ago, I'd have been carted off to the nearest ICU - and within a minute my breathing & heart rate were back at a reasonable level. This cycling stuff sure does work! :thumbsup:

J4MIE_P

From what you guys are saying it sounds like I should be dead by now.

From a recent ride where the pace was well non-existant really, just a Sunday morning pootle around with millions of stops to chat, etc.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/424969135

But yet my HR is averaging 140, Zone 3.6
Surely that's mega high for a slow easy ride?

Jon George

HR is averaging 140, Zone 3.6

Excluding the factor of your hypertension, it could just be a large element of unfitness. It may take some time, but I guarantee that even if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll see those stats fall. Maybe switch the machine off for three weeks and then try again. As long as you're not being left totally breathless or feeling pains in your chest, however slight, you should be alright. Just go out and enjoy yourself!

J4MIE_P

Excluding the factor of your hypertension, it could just be a large element of unfitness. It may take some time, but I guarantee that even if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll see those stats fall. Maybe switch the machine off for three weeks and then try again. As long as you're not being left totally breathless or feeling pains in your chest, however slight, you should be alright. Just go out and enjoy yourself!

Sorry,

Im not the original poster just reading this thread and just thought Id share and add some comments.

No heart problems etc here, just concerned given the previous feedback that it seemed high?

Jon George

Sorry, Im not the original poster. No heart problems etc here, just concerned given the previous feedback that it seemed high?

Oops! So much for the idea that exercise improves brain function. :whistle:

I'm 55 and my average is about 140 and I do push it a little. Make of that what you will. Wouldn't class your result as mega - maybe you had an off day and it was a tad high?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
From what you guys are saying it sounds like I should be dead by now.

From a recent ride where the pace was well non-existant really, just a Sunday morning pootle around with millions of stops to chat, etc.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/424969135

But yet my HR is averaging 140, Zone 3.6

Zones are based on resting and max heart rate, thus they rely on accurate measurement of such metrics.

Also, refer back to comments re. average HR being a rather useless stat!

Top Bottom