Average Heart Rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
What is the point of training hard if all you want to achieve is a medium steady ride, I am definitely not new to training been at it 43 years.

Training hard alows you to achive a steady ride......

screenman

Legendary Member
Training hard alows you to achive a steady ride......
Training steady for a steady ride also does the same, without too much stress.

Ahh! the black book, and the red one, the blue one and the white one, if I remember correctly. Must say the guy did help a few people move out of a training rut and improve their times, often for guys who had been riding years.

Ahh! the black book, and the red one, the blue one and the white one, if I remember correctly. Must say the guy did help a few people move out of a training rut and improve their times, often for guys who had been riding years.
I am not an expert but it does not seem likely that traininf hard and training steady do the same thing!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Yes, I have a pdf of the Black book. There is some sense in it and I can identify with his overall philosophy, but I can not get past the writing style, it is almost satirical!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am not an expert but it does not seem likely that traininf hard and training steady do the same thing!

The point is, a steady ride is not particularly taxing, thus you can train more often (and without much thought or consideration) or for longer durations, you will be able to train more often and the training will be more specific to the aims.

Wrecking yourself in a VO2 max interval session of 60 mins duration then not training for the next 2 days might give rise to some endurance gain, but vs 3x60 minute endurance based rides which do you think will provide the biggest gain specific to the target?

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes, I have a pdf of the Black book. There is some sense in it and I can identify with his overall philosophy, but I can not get past the writing style, it is almost satirical!
Have you met him, he is a very nice Yorkshire guy. Extremely knowledgeable about most things cycling. I remember him telling me about the first HRM he got went looking for advice and some that came back said thing like ride at 300bpm for 2 minutes that was from so called cycling experts, long time ago now though, I think I first visited him in about 1993 for my first max test.

VamP

Banned
The point is, a steady ride is not particularly taxing, thus you can train more often (and without much thought or consideration) or for longer durations, you will be able to train more often and the training will be more specific...

I think the problem is that a lot of people don't amplify the volume side of the equation. A steady ride every Sunday will not in itself provide any kind of adaptation.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
The point is, a steady ride is not particularly taxing, thus you can train more often (and without much thought or consideration) or for longer durations, you will be able to train more often and the training will be more specific to the aims.

Wrecking yourself in a VO2 max interval session of 60 mins duration then not training for the next 2 days might give rise to some endurance gain, but vs 3x60 minute endurance based rides which do you think will provide the biggest gain specific to the target?

I like that bit, Can you then not sit in your easy Zone 1 & 2's for the next couple of days and increasing your endurance based rides.

My view is different. You are in your mid 40's, is hypertensive on treatment and your primary goal is to increase your fitness. You are not cycling to compete in a tour etc. Therefore the most important aspect of your cycling is to enjoy your ride while gradually increasing your fitness.
Therefore my advice is to throw away the heart monitor and just enjoy your ride. Start slowly, because you need to warm up, then cycle within your ability, as much as your heart, lungs and legs will let you do it. As the time goes, you will find that your exercise tolerance increases and you will be able to do that 50/60 mile ride.

But I doubt that you will ever agree to what I say.

Top Bottom