Average Heart Rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piemanpaul

Regular
I'm no expert, but I agree with midliferider, a lot of people get too hung up on heart rates, you should test how quickly your heart rate returns to normal after you have completed your ride, this normal rate will be different for different people and different fitness levels, due to your blood pressure a trip to the quacks seems like a must before you go any further. But get out and enjoy it, if I was to look at my maximum heart rate when I go out I would never ride anywhere as I live in Sheffield and you can't go anywhere without going up a steep hill, I know that my rate has been up as high as 188 for a short space of time, but it dropped back to a reasonable rate once I had got over the hill.
Hope I don't sound like a complete knob, just chucking my hat in the ring:smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm no expert, but I agree with midliferider, a lot of people get too hung up on heart rates, you should test how quickly your heart rate returns to normal after you have completed your ride, this normal rate will be different for different people and different fitness levels, due to your blood pressure a trip to the quacks seems like a must before you go any further. But get out and enjoy it, if I was to look at my maximum heart rate when I go out I would never ride anywhere as I live in Sheffield and you can't go anywhere without going up a steep hill, I know that my rate has been up as high as 188 for a short space of time, but it dropped back to a reasonable rate once I had got over the hill.
Hope I don't sound like a complete knob, just chucking my hat in the ring:smile:
You agree that people get too hung up on HR but recommend looking at recovery HR?

Knob status achieved :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
The only people hung up on HRMs are people who don't want to use them.

They are about as complicated and mentally taxing as a speedo on a car.

HR is as much about ensuring your easy rides are easy, as anything else. And that's important.

VamP

Banned
The only people hung up on HRMs are people who don't want to use them.

They are about as complicated and mentally taxing as a speedo on a car.

HR is as much about ensuring your easy rides are easy, as anything else. And that's important.

Riding easy is.... Well, easy. No need to use HR to ride easy. And easy rides are not as important as the hard ones. :laugh:

There are other complications in using HRM in your case.
I assume you are taking drugs for hypertension. All anti hypertensive drugs have an effect on heart rate. So your calculations may not be accurate.
In my view what will be important is regular, once a week or two, measure of your blood pressure. You will see that your pressure comes down if you keep up with cycling.

Tin Pot

Guru
Riding easy is.... Well, easy. No need to use HR to ride easy. And easy rides are not as important as the hard ones. :laugh:

Well that's not true.

People often over exert when they should be riding easy, and stop pushing themselves during hard sessions.

Easy sessions are arguably more important than hard, and should certainly take up more of your total training.

Basically, I'm saying that everything you've said is wrong.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Well that's not true.

People often over exert when they should be riding easy, and stop pushing themselves during hard sessions.

Easy sessions are arguably more important than hard, and should certainly take up more of your total training.

Explain

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well that's not true.

LOL!

geekinaseat

One thing that I saw, (I think it was in the Olympics but I can't be sure) was a runner who before a mid distance (5 or 10k) race was interviewed and eagerly explained his strength and speed HIT training in preparation to the event, he said he was on top form and faster than ever.However in the race he got off to a fast start but his endurance failed him 3/4 through the race and he came in one of the last places.

I've never heard anyone so bitter about HIT and intervals before! I think he may have sacked his coach after that....

It made me think at the time that the key was "mixing it up" and doing a bit of everything, no matter what your disciple or goals a mix of speed/hill training with steady rides and long endurance rides will help everyone.

One thing that I saw, (I think it was in the Olympics but I can't be sure) was a runner who before a mid distance (5 or 10k) race was interviewed and eagerly explained his strength and speed HIT training in preparation to the event, he said he was on top form and faster than ever.However in the race he got off to a fast start but his endurance failed him 3/4 through the race and he came in one of the last places.

I've never heard anyone so bitter about HIT and intervals before! I think he may have sacked his coach after that....

It made me think at the time that the key was "mixing it up" and doing a bit of everything, no matter what your disciple or goals a mix of speed/hill training with steady rides and long endurance rides will help everyone.

My point is that those things, zone of your heart rate, lactate levels etc etc, are important for those athletes whose entire success depends on margins of fraction of a second.
For a middle age man like me who cycle for leisure, those things does not matter. When I am too tired, I stop. I am not in a race. I will keep cycling till my heart stop beating. I do not need a machine a to tell me that it has stopped.

Top Bottom