Average Speed Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterStan

Label Required
I was thinking particularly of an A road bypassing Stalham in Norfolk where, from memory, it's possible to turn onto the road, travel at whatever speed you like for a couple of miles through one camera and then either turn off into the town centre or Tesco's before reaching the next camera.
Must be others like this.
There's one small section on the A14 North of Cambridge you can do this.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
No such thing as an "overtaking lane". There is a left hand lane for diving in and two or three lanes to the right of that for passing vehicles in the outside line.

You mean like overtaking lanes?

Seems some think the outside lane is for going extra fast.

Must admit, I'm enjoying cruise control/speed limiting but I'm not sure what to do with the spare foot.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The ones on the M42 have gone mental recently, I think it's a test to see if you're paying attention, they alternate randomly from camera to camera; 40mph, 50mph, 60mph.

Must be some calculation to work out what the average speed should have been by the end of them.

subaqua

What’s the point
The ones on the M42 have gone mental recently, I think it's a test to see if you're paying attention, they alternate randomly from camera to camera; 40mph, 50mph, 60mph.

Must be some calculation to work out what the average speed should have been by the end of them.

not a difficult one for a small PC program.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 3648922, member: 45"]There is. If they're dynamic, and respond fluidly to traffic conditions, it would be very difficult to design a system where they can also be used as average speed cameras.[/QUOTE]

If they're responding to traffic then I'd suggest they need tweaking, they've not been like that before that I can remember and I use that stretch of road quite a lot. It all seemed a bit haphazard and the traffic was the usual M42 traffic, ie shïte.

As previously posted by someone else a hundred posts ago, just hide all cameras, why on earth do we highlight to drivers where the speed cameras are? I accept it might be a bit more expensive but in overall cost to the economy it would surely save money. I like to see unmarked police cars pulling drivers, often on the A1. Hit the idiot drivers where it hurts most, take their car away for a set period.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 3649046, member: 45"]The M42 system is pretty old so I'm not sure what they have, but these days the systems have loops in the road which detect slow moving or stationary traffic. The data gets fed back to Highways Agency control centres and a computer tells them what the speed limit should be set to.

The M42 just has too much traffic on it. Get a motorbike.[/QUOTE]

Aren't motorbikes traffic too albeit smaller traffic? Anyway I gave up motorbikes.

D

Deleted member 26715

They could be more effective, if the results were visible at the end of the section. They could flash up your registration, average speed and a message. That could be thank you, a bit slower next time please, too fast take this as a warning, too fast take this as a final warning, or third time your reg has been recorded at excessive speed a NIP will be in the post you are No. X today.
This was available in the mid '90's I was a rep on the road at the time, I visited a dealership around Leicester & we were talking about the speed limit in the roadworks on the M1 being 30mph, it would flash up a registration & the speed the speeding cars were doing. They told me it was just random numbers that were flashed up just to scare people & not actual cars on the road, I believed them until my registration flashed up for doing 34mph.

Top Bottom