Average Speed Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My truck has the performance of a slug on valium. Most of the World comes sailing past me, but then I catch most of them up at the next slow moving lorry, lights, or roundabout, I have plenty of time to study this phenomenon and it really would seem that all they're doing is chewing needlessly through fuel ( about who's price they like to moan) and putting unnecessary wear and tear on their tyres and brakes.

subaqua

What’s the point
I agree with the first part of your sentence but the second half is a load of bollocks.

http://lifehacker.com/does-speeding-really-get-you-there-any-faster-1556767685

read the whole article. the graph figures are theoretical numbers, real life ones give the effect i describe things like riding the green wave . dock road in liverpool was amazing for this. my boss used to tank along at over the limit and get stuck at every light. whereas i tootled along at 30 and once i got the 1st light it was green all the way.

maths is a wonderful thing.

Most average speed cameras use font license plate cameras - most normal speed cameras use rear plate cameras. However, there are average speed systems that are now using rear place cameras. After all, whether it's the front plate or rear plate is irrelevant when it comes to average speed.

I'm guessing then that you are not a motorcyclist or don't have one in your family/friends circle.
Motorbikes don't have front licence plates so it does matter because as I stated.
My brother rather likes them because most of them now use forward facing cameras for the registration plate detection. He is a motorcyclist.:whistle:
so there is an entire category of road users that can not be caught by these front licence plate average speed cameras :whistle:

My truck has the performance of a slug on valium. Most of the World comes sailing past me, but then I catch most of them up at the next slow moving lorry, lights, or roundabout, I have plenty of time to study this phenomenon and it really would seem that all they're doing is chewing needlessly through fuel ( about who's price they like to moan) and putting unnecessary wear and tear on their tyres and brakes.
Applies to city traffic when out on the bike for the most part too.

[QUOTE 3644133, member: 45"]I'd like to see over here what they have approaching some small villages on the continent. A flashing light warning the driver that there's a speed reduction coming up. If the driver doesn't slow enough it turns red and stops him.[/QUOTE]

^^^ yes even a automatic traffic light for the speeders, with a built in camera for those who ignore it
Would be a money maker around here, not unusual for at least 2 cars to have followed me through lights that have turned amber as I've gone through them. I've had a couple stop very close to the back of the car too when I've had sufficient time to pull up - I don't think they were expecting me to stop.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Not cycling related I know.

I have had the (mis)fortune to have done a lot of long distance driving recently and travelled through numerous sets of road works with average speed cameras.

I am anot aware of anyone ever caught / prosecuted for speeding on evidence obtained from average speed cameras. I have asked my friends and work colleagues and whilst some admit to being caught by a speed camera, no one admits to being caught by average speed cameras.

Have you or anyone you know been caught speeding by average speed cameras? I am wondering if they work at all
I had the same attitude to average speed cameras until I got done 3 times in one week along the same stretch. For the first one I got a speed awareness course. Go figure. 3 points and a fine for each of the other two.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I had the same attitude to average speed cameras until I got done 3 times in one week along the same stretch. For the first one I got a speed awareness course. Go figure. 3 points and a fine for each of the other two.

Beware the wrath of the CC Sanctimonious Crew descending upon you.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Taxi drivers speeding round the A1 Western Bypass at 4 in the morning, when the road is empty apart from them, confirm they work!

Tim Hall

Possible stupid question, but hey: Are average speed cameras only triggered by exceeding the average speed over the distance between the two cameras, or do they also do "spot" measurements at each location? If I hoon through the first camera at 15mph over the limit, then brake and keep my speed down so I arrive at the second camera with a low enough average speed, will I get a NIP. (all hypothetical as it happens).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Not cycling related I know.

I have had the (mis)fortune to have done a lot of long distance driving recently and travelled through numerous sets of road works with average speed cameras.

I am anot aware of anyone ever caught / prosecuted for speeding on evidence obtained from average speed cameras. I have asked my friends and work colleagues and whilst some admit to being caught by a speed camera, no one admits to being caught by average speed cameras.

Have you or anyone you know been caught speeding by average speed cameras? I am wondering if they work at all

They certainly work. My wife attended a speed awareness course because she was caught speeding by a mobile speed camera. The majority of attendees had been caught by average speed cameras on the A1.

byegad

Legendary Member
I was through the A1 stretch of roadworks just North of Catterick yesterday. 50mph ASCs for several miles, most of us doing as close to 50mph as we dare in the inside lane when a numpty went haring past us at a good (Surely that should be bad?) 70mph, he braked hard just before the nice yellow cameras then accelerated away once he was past them. He should be getting a nice letter from North Yorkshire Police any day soon.

Top Bottom