Average Speed Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I blame the education system.

I blame the driver for being stupid.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
So - if these cameras only measure elapsed time between two points, drivers who know they're gonna exit the road before reaching the next camera can travel at whatever speed they like - is that correct?

vickster

Legendary Member
Assuming there isn't another camera before the exit. I've mostly seen cameras between and before the junction

green1

Über Member
So - if these cameras only measure elapsed time between two points, drivers who know they're gonna exit the road before reaching the next camera can travel at whatever speed they like - is that correct?
Only asc system I've seen is on the A9. Every exit has a set of cameras.

subaqua

What’s the point

as above- minimum of 2 required , 3 is better as improves the accuracy always before/at entry exits to prevent the problem you describe.

truly a lovely system

I'd like them to have 5+ at any site using them, then in theory the Audi/BMW/knob mobile of choice brigade passing all of them in excess of limit could have three points from each and be on the bus. Sdaly I'm fairly sure it's just onceoffence though.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'd like them to have 5+ at any site using them, then in theory the Audi/BMW/knob mobile of choice brigade passing all of them in excess of limit could have three points from each and be on the bus. Sdaly I'm fairly sure it's just onceoffence though.

I believe it is one offence per system, however that doesn't stop you getting a ticket in the morning going to site from project office , one in the afternoon coming back from site to project office and then one in the evening going home from the same system.

which is what did happen to one of the guys I mentioned in the post way back up the top.

I think he got offered a speed awareness course

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Have you or anyone you know been caught speeding by average speed cameras? I am wondering if they work at all
Not someone I know personally but http://news.sky.com/story/1074399/ed-balls-admits-speeding-on-motorway ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting to read that link Mr Balls says he paid his fine and also attended the Speed awareness course.

I think he doesn't understand the system as there is no fine if you do the speed awareness course
Maybe he meant he paid the fee to do the course, which is essentially a fine? I think it's actually more than the £60 fine, but no points

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Assuming there isn't another camera before the exit. I've mostly seen cameras between and before the junction

I was thinking particularly of an A road bypassing Stalham in Norfolk where, from memory, it's possible to turn onto the road, travel at whatever speed you like for a couple of miles through one camera and then either turn off into the town centre or Tesco's before reaching the next camera.
Must be others like this.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I was thinking particularly of an A road bypassing Stalham in Norfolk where, from memory, it's possible to turn onto the road, travel at whatever speed you like for a couple of miles through one camera and then either turn off into the town centre or Tesco's before reaching the next camera.
Must be others like this.
Yep, there's one local to me where there's a camera on a dual-carriageway that they reduced from 70mph to 50mph limit when the cameras went in. There's a stretch with a camera midway between junctions, then the next one is after the following junction, a good 2-3 miles down the road. You tend to get those going straight on doing 49.9mph and those turning off doing 70-80mph.

Top Bottom