Average Speed Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3643528, member: 9609"]bolloxs with that namby pamby nonsense - hide the cameras, have lots of different speed limits (lets have lazy motorists concentrating), double treble the fines and build a few new hospital with the proceeds. best form of taxation ever.[/QUOTE]

That will only work if you get rid of the points system, amazing how careful people are with 6 or 9 points.

green1

Über Member
[QUOTE 3643712, member: 259"]That's a bit drastic if they ever want to go driving in France or Germany.[/QUOTE]
Track days would be fun to.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3643712, member: 259"]That's a bit drastic if they ever want to go driving in France or Germany.[/QUOTE]Road sign recognition works on other countries road signs as well.

green1

Über Member
[QUOTE 3643735, member: 9609"]GPS enabled speed limiters. automatically limit speed whether on motorway, village or passing a school - could even improve congestion problems by slowing vehicles as they approach very busy sections.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't take long for someone to disable them. What about new roads? Wife's mum's house is on a street built 4 years ago yet sat nav still shows the street as a field

Drago

Legendary Member
Make it a lifetime banning offence to be caught driving a vehicle with an inoperative limiter. Make it law for all manufacturers to keep the mapping data up to date. Or cross combine it with road sign recognition. None of these problems are technically difficult, it's just the political will that's required.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Not cycling related I know.

I have had the (mis)fortune to have done a lot of long distance driving recently and travelled through numerous sets of road works with average speed cameras.

I am anot aware of anyone ever caught / prosecuted for speeding on evidence obtained from average speed cameras. I have asked my friends and work colleagues and whilst some admit to being caught by a speed camera, no one admits to being caught by average speed cameras.

Have you or anyone you know been caught speeding by average speed cameras? I am wondering if they work at all
No, but I tend to stick to the average speed.

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 3643735, member: 9609"]GPS enabled speed limiters. automatically limit speed whether on motorway, village or passing a school - could even improve congestion problems by slowing vehicles as they approach very busy sections.[/QUOTE]

that would be a good thing in peak times and other applications ie schools villages etc ,I like the idea .
long way off I guess if its made law

Last edited:

pplpilot

Guru
I live in my car at the moment being so busy, I have no problem sticking to the speed limits. It's the 'solutions provider rep' Mr 3 series in his Oakley sunglasses 3" from my rear bumper that has a problem.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I'm not sure why you are "PMSL"is it that a safety feature was not working or perhaps iyou are PMSL at the waste of taxpayers money.

I'm not sure either are things most sensible people would be "PMSL" at.
Unfortunately I can't do an ironic smiley on my phone but the pmsl was ironic. if you knew how poor the LA are here you might understand where I am coming from.

I never bought the lane changing thing. The system recognises your number plate at 2 different locations as you pass, which it works out your average speed from, then sends you a letter but it can't figure out you've swapped lanes? Seemed unlikely to me.

Had a few hire cars with speed limiters, found them very handy on the managed (and roadworks) sections of the M62. Better than cruise control in the more congested sections where speeds vary more.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3643793, member: 259"]But at a bit more than 70mph, though.[/QUOTE]So the software recognises the country from which that road sign comes and adjusts its max speed limited accordingly. Most people's cellphones carry several times the processing power needed to do this, so there is no technical reason whatsoever why such measures could not be adopted.

And the early Specs versions did indeed not recognise lane swaps. Can guarantee you that.

Think one of the Universitys (Leeds?) had a test car a few years ago that used GPS/sign recognition to prevent it from ever speeding. The technology is available - as above, if driverless cars are coming speed limiting should be a doddle.

subaqua

What’s the point
No such thing as an "overtaking lane". There is a left hand lane for diving in and two or three lanes to the right of that for passing vehicles in the outside line.
well what does the process of passing a vehicle in lane 1 by using lane 2 get called smart ass. and if you aint overtaking a vehicle you should be moving back to lane 1

Last edited:
Top Bottom