Average Speed Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Not cycling related I know.

I have had the (mis)fortune to have done a lot of long distance driving recently and travelled through numerous sets of road works with average speed cameras.

I am anot aware of anyone ever caught / prosecuted for speeding on evidence obtained from average speed cameras. I have asked my friends and work colleagues and whilst some admit to being caught by a speed camera, no one admits to being caught by average speed cameras.

Have you or anyone you know been caught speeding by average speed cameras? I am wondering if they work at all

Panter

Just call me Chris...
No idea if this is true or not, but I was told that they can't prosecute if you pass the second camera in a different lane to the first one as the calibration would then be out.
Sounds unlikely to me as I imagine they'd be calibrated to allow for error so they would record a minimum average, but it could explain why so many people lane swap so often through roadworks.

I have had the (mis)fortune to have done a lot of long distance driving recently and travelled through numerous sets of road works with average speed cameras.

I am anot aware of anyone ever caught / prosecuted for speeding on evidence obtained from average speed cameras. I have asked my friends and work colleagues and whilst some admit to being caught by a speed camera, no one admits to being caught by average speed cameras.

Have you or anyone you know been caught speeding by average speed cameras? I am wondering if they work at all

Yes they work - because you slow down to the required speed!

With them set up at roadworks, I would not chance it but you do raise a good point. The distance between the two cameras would need to be checked and verified for it to be used as evidence.

siadwell

Guru
No idea if this is true or not, but I was told that they can't prosecute if you pass the second camera in a different lane to the first one as the calibration would then be out.
Sounds unlikely to me as I imagine they'd be calibrated to allow for error so they would record a minimum average, but it could explain why so many people lane swap so often through roadworks.
This article in the DM from 2006 explains the "loophole" which is not to do with calibration but approval for use on roads with more than one lane: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-410539/Drivers-avoid-speeding-tickets--changing-lanes.html
Wikipedia describes this as a "popular misconception" and goes on to explain why it's not true.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't think everybody knows how they work, or understands the concept of average, judging by the number of drivers who slam their brakes on as they pass them.

The calibration thing is interesting though and could probably be tested in court. I know of someone who successfully challenged a drink-driving conviction as the police couldn't provide up to date QC data for the analysers.

I know someone caught on the M1.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I don't think everybody knows how they work, or understands the concept of average, judging by the number of drivers who slam their brakes on as they pass them.

The calibration thing is interesting though and could probably be tested in court. I know of someone who successfully challenged a drink-driving conviction as the police couldn't provide up to date QC data for the analysers.

I think you're absolutely right there. I do see an awful lot of BMW's cars flooring it between the cameras, then hitting the anchors before they pass the next one!

subaqua

What’s the point

Yes , Several guys I work with who all complained it wasn't fair.

I did point out that to go over the prosecution limit they must have not had a lapse of concentration but a sustained driving at a significant speed over the limit.

what makes it more ironic is they were caught in the roadworks that were being carried out by the company we work for and they were ON THAT PROJECT.

another guy got caught near Portsmouth on an average speed section early evening and then late evening same day on the M25 north section. it did also show he couldn't have been in work when he had indicated on his timesheet !

subaqua

What’s the point
It's complete and utter spherical danglies,I'm afraid!

It used to be correct as the SPECS system Home office type approval didn't cover multiple lanes. the SPECS 3 system does however cover multiple lanes and multiple speed limits. so if there is a break in the works ( like on the M1 near Jcn 15) the system will pop a NIP in the post.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yes they do work, A work colleague was caught several times when the M25 was being widened around the Enfield area. He had tried the swapping lanes trick, and found it didn't work.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Only read the first post at this stage.

I can confirm one of my colleagues was caught by average speed cameras and received points as a result. He was doing the high sixties in a 50 zone.

Top Bottom