average speed = no racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
He's more interested in watching racing than training hard to take part, which is fine.

Just needs to be honest with himself that he can't be arsed despite being young, living at home, not having a family nor working massively long hours nor in a heavy manual job like @cyberknight :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
He's more interested in watching racing than training hard to take part, which is fine.

Just needs to be honest with himself that he can't be arsed despite being young, living at home, not having a family nor working massively long hours nor in a heavy manual job like @cyberknight :smile:
It made my day taking the kids to the park this evening :smile:, i had 2 and a half weeks off the bike with ilnness/hols so my average for the month is not far of @jamma ;) , gotta be around 3500 miles so far for the year .

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Seems to be a lot of jamma-bashing going on here. Not sure it's entirely helpful either.
I don't think its helpful or even on topic . Saying you manage to potter around on a bike while going about your daily business and have done x amount of miles is hardly race training is it . It's just going about your business with very little effort put in . You cant stop off for a caffe mocha and a pain au chocolat in a cat 4 crit .

JoshM

I don't think its helpful or even on topic . Saying you manage to potter around on a bike while going about your daily business and have done x amount of miles is hardly race training is it . It's just going about your business with very little effort put in . You cant stop off for a caffe mocha and a pain au chocolat in a cat 4 crit .

I think the point people are trying to make is that jamma isn't alone in having to work, and many of us work shifts and manage to fit in time on the bike. There's time to train, if you're determined and organised. You just have to want it.

It's relevant. Jamma is saying he has no time to get on his bike. Others are saying how they find time to do the cycling they enjoy. Once your arse is in the saddle, then how you use that time is a new question. But it's got to be in the saddle before you can take the next step.

To be an elite, you need to be physically gifted, love the sport and - most importantly - the grit keep going when every other part of you wants to quit. You can probably do well in amateur events with any two of them. If he loves cycling, he'd snatch every moment on this warm autumn days. Grit is needed to get you out in February. If you don't have enough love or grit to ride in August, then it's just a hobby. Enjoy it when you feel like riding. That's ok, it's just not what Chris Froome does.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It's relevant. Jamma is saying he has no time to get on his bike. Others are saying how they find time to do the cycling they enjoy. Once your arse is in the saddle, then how you use that time is a new question. But it's got to be in the saddle before you can take the next step.

To be an elite, you need to be physically gifted, love the sport and - most importantly - the grit keep going when every other part of you wants to quit. You can probably do well in amateur events with any two of them. If he loves cycling, he'd snatch every moment on this warm autumn days. Grit is needed to get you out in February. If you don't have enough love or grit to ride in August, then it's just a hobby. Enjoy it when you feel like riding. That's ok, it's just not what Chris Froome does.
I'm paraphrasing here but didn't Wiggo say something about needing to force himself to continue training in the winter rain when he knew that most others were happily tucked up indoors? I also seem to remember Cav* confessing that he'll find any excuse under the sun to avoid a session on the turbo trainer but if it's out on the road, he's bouncing around like a puppy no matter what the weather. (* It might have been one of his coaches talking about Cav: can't quite recall.)

Don't get me wrong I can put in some distance, I think an average of 6,000 miles a year over 4 years can show that, but by riding every opportunity it all helps, especially if your only doing an average of 7 miles day, I used to regularly put in 200+ miles a week, I am currently doing around about 100, nothing stops me rain nor wind in fact if anything they are the more challenging rides and fulfilling.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Seems to be a lot of jamma-bashing going on here. Not sure it's entirely helpful either.
You're a bit late to the party. ;)
Have a read of all of Jamma's other posts and threads and then form an opinion as to whether some of the comments on here are justified, or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom