Average speed of your hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soup890

Crazy
Hi everyone I have been cycling for about 9 months now. I do 124 miles a week.

I have a specialized sirrus sport 2014 model. My average speed is 13mph.

Is this good average speed on a rigged hybrid bike?

And what is your average speed on a hybrid bike?

Thank you guys and girls

MikeW-71

Veteran
It depends :smile:

Sounds like a decent average to me, but is that on the flat or on a hillier route? What size tyres etc....

Chris Norton

Pretty average to me. I do about the same on the winter tyres and about 15 when out on it's summer skinnys. A lot will depend on your riding position and you simply cannot compare a hybrid to a roadie so don't even go there. :smile:

Enjoy your bike and stop worrying about average speeds though.

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
It depends :smile:

Sounds like a decent average to me, but is that on the flat or on a hillier route? What size tyres etc....

It's mostly flat road it has 700cc tyres. Also when peddling do I push down on the the peddles to gain speed or do I just simply rotate my legs??

Osprey

Guru
13mph is a decent average for a hybrid. Your best gauge is how that improves over the following months. I'm only averaging 14.2 on my Secteur Elite but that is over serious undulating roads in South Wales. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

My average for last year was 12.63 on my heavy old Dawes Kalahari hybrid around the edge of the Chilterns

vickster

Legendary Member
12-14mph average for me at the mo on (sub)urban roads on a Whyte Cambridge on 28mm Marathon plus. This is flat terrain but traffic, lights etc plus rack and trunk bag (with Abus Granit Beastie lock plus other stuff contained). Flat pedals not clipless

I am actually not a lot quicker on a roadbike, maybe 14-15mph average on similar routes...I think this is simply a product of too much urban detritus, i.e. traffic!

Would like to be quicker but it's cold and I have a knackered knee which is affecting my pedalling ( ;) ) according to my riding buddy!

vickster

Legendary Member
It's mostly flat road it has 700cc tyres. Also when peddling do I push down on the the peddles to gain speed or do I just simply rotate my legs??
Do you ride clipless, that should help

It depends a lot on terrain, purpose etc. My old sirrus sports would be about 17.6mph on a pan flat coastal route, without lights (once out of town) but in town it'd only be under 14mph (and my computers dont count stopped time, so in reality it'd probably at a guess be 12mph)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It sounds a reasonable average to me and I expect you'll be able to improve on that the more you ride.:thumbsup:

I've been averaging between 12 and 15mph on a trekking bike with 700x35c tyres depending on the terrain, weather (I'm slower in the wind and cold), luggage and how energetic I'm feeling.

Something that for me has made a difference speed-wise was fitting bar ends, which give the option of a more stretched out riding position for those fast flat sections (a bit like riding on the hoods of a drop bar bike).

Top Bottom