Average speed of your hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I have the same bike :thumbsup:

My commute average speed is slightly higher, maybe ~14 mph, and fully urban.

If you're doing 100+ miles a week at 13 mph, I'd say you have an excellent base level for longer/faster rides. I'd suggest trying some longer rides on the hybrid on a weekend. The Sirrus Sport can handle that no problem.

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
I have the same bike :thumbsup:

My commute average speed is slightly higher, maybe ~14 mph, and fully urban.

If you're doing 100+ miles a week at 13 mph, I'd say you have an excellent base level for longer/faster rides. I'd suggest trying some longer rides on the hybrid on a weekend. The Sirrus Sport can handle that no problem.

Thanks mate much appreciated. Are you enjoying your bike? I have mud guards fitted on mine. The seat was really firm to start off with but I'm use to it. The bike is amazing to ride and I'm glad I purchased it.

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
If you're talking road/circuit racing, then 13mph avg is a long way short of the kind of fitness needed, IMO. If you can average closer to 20mph on a flat route, you will be in the ballpark...
Ok thanks, what type of racing do you think will suit me as I really want to do something this year?

Kies

Sirrus Elite - winter on stock 28c tyres - 13 ish MPH average, summer is 16MPH on 23c tyres. I tend to carry more balast around my middle in winter :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok thanks, what type of racing do you think will suit me as I really want to do something this year?
How about joining a club? Get used to riding with others. You can do it on a Sirrus if you want, maybe pop some 25mm tyres on it. My understanding is a slower club run will be 15-17mph average over around 50 miles

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Thanks mate much appreciated. Are you enjoying your bike? I have mud guards fitted on mine. The seat was really firm to start off with but I'm use to it. The bike is amazing to ride and I'm glad I purchased it.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it too. No chance of going mudguard-free in Scotland :laugh::rain:

It's my commuter/town bike/workhorse, so I never really push it for speed over any sort of distance. I used to do long rides on my previous hybrid, though.

I have no racing experience, so can't really advise too much. As others have said, though, you would need to up the pace considerably. A road bike will help, but you can get prepared already now by getting your body used to an increased effort.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I wouldn't worry about the whole hybrid/ road bike thing. My Giant Rapid is of a similar bread to your Sirrus but with more road orientated gearing but can easily keep up with my road bike riding buddies.
You do need to keep putting in the mileage however- how about doing a few short fast rides to try to get your average up (if your average is your only training tool?) and then getting the distance up?
I don't get many long rides in so make my commutes count by being 17-21mph over a 12.5 mph each way- I do however suck at anything greater than 30 miles as I try to maintain this speed.

compo

Veteran
My average was around the 12/13mph mark but during the autumn and to now I have been struggling to maintain 10mph. A recent trip to the hospital for a check up solved the reason. Since July I have put on 10kgs in weight. Although I have done plenty of cycling my diet went to pot and I have just been eating too much. Back to some discipline now and I have dropped a couple of pounds so far!

Last edited:

Col5632

Guru
My speed is defo slower on my hybrid compared to my road bike, hybrid is 13kg with 700x38c tyres whereas my roadie is 10kg and 23mm tyres, usually around 12-14 on the hybrid and not much faster on the roadie but usually 13-16mph

MattMM

My Ridgeback hybrid is just less than 11KG and I'm a) a newbie of just over a month experience and b) built like the proverbial 6' 3" brick outhouse. I can hit about 15-16 mph on a flat stretch but I live in a hilly area, so average out around 9-10mph with climbs. This will, of course, hopefully improve with experience :smile:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
My average on the hybrid is normally around 11-12mph on the commute. Speed is of no importance to me compared to enjoying the ride. I could probably up it a little if I could be ar$ed ^_^

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Trek hybrid on 38mm tyres was normally 12-14 average depending on how many hills, road bike used the same effort to get 15-17 average.
At the moment I'm happy on any bike at 10 mph..

Top Bottom