Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianwoodi

I have been cycling for a year now and have made alot of progress over the year. Now my average speed over a 30 miles with alot of hills is 16mph. How dose this compare with other cyclists as i am a lone cyclist i have no one to compare it with

dodgy

Check out local cyclists on Strava, you'll see the length of their rides, where they rode, how fast, how much they climbed etc.

GrasB

Veteran
I have been cycling for a year now and have made alot of progress over the year. Now my average speed over a 30 miles with alot of hills is 16mph. How dose this compare with other cyclists as i am a lone cyclist i have no one to compare it with
Does it actually matter?

If you are a solo rider you just need to be happy with your riding abilities for the terrain. If you're not happy then train, if you are happy then carry on with what you're doing.

If you're looking to group ride then you need to find out what clubs & groups there are in the area to find out which one you fit in with not only in terms of strength but also socially & philosophically. I mean I often go out with a group of much weaker riders than me, for me it makes a nice recovery ride because they're not interested in training. Riding with exactly the same group of riders if they were interested in training wouldn't fulfil my needs & so I wouldn't ride with them.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
The only way to make an accurate comparison with other riders is over the same route. 16mph average over some of the Derbyshire Hills vs 16mph over the flats in Lincolnshire, means nothing, inaccurate data.

To compare with another (mainly) solo Derbyshire rider, my averages sit between 15 mph at the start of the year, peak around 18-19 mid year, then I back it off again towards the end of year.

Most importantly, are you having fun ?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Well, that's quick to me but probably slow to others!

There are too many variables really. Your fitness, age, build, CV system. Blah, blah, blah.

Just log your rides. Revel in your improvements.

One day in the future you'll plateau and then further down track you'll start to decline. Mimics life really. Enjoy it all whilst you can as one day there will be no ride tomorrow!

Hip Priest

Veteran
Depends what you mean by hilly. I can do a 20 mile flat route (500ft of elevation) with an average of 20mph. Make it 20 miles with 2000ft of climbing, and I'd be looking at 11-12mph probably.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends; e.g. I did 70 very hilly miles yesterday at 14.5mph average. However, my commute's 21mph (into work) or 16mph (going home) - which is based on mostly downhill/uphill.

Just enjoy it.

And if you want to compare, get Strava as @dodgy states.

Top Bottom