Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
16mph is close to what I average. On the commute I can only average 14mph because of wind/rain/weight of bike. I have never averaged over 20mph though even if I could do that on the flat with no wind (target for summer).

Cyclist33

Does it actually matter?

If you are a solo rider you just need to be happy with your riding abilities for the terrain. If you're not happy then train, if you are happy then carry on with what you're doing.

If you're looking to group ride then you need to find out what clubs & groups there are in the area to find out which one you fit in with not only in terms of strength but also socially & philosophically. I mean I often go out with a group of much weaker riders than me, for me it makes a nice recovery ride because they're not interested in training. Riding with exactly the same group of riders if they were interested in training wouldn't fulfil my needs & so I wouldn't ride with them.

How very altruistic of you!! :tongue:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
16mph is close to what I average. On the commute I can only average 14mph because of wind/rain/weight of bike. I have never averaged over 20mph though even if I could do that on the flat with no wind (target for summer).
I think its mostly the weather, i recently re read an article comparing a 20 year old steel pinarello to a modern dogma and the average speed for the giro on the two bikes has only gone up about 5 kph and i suspect some of that would be done to modern sports science as much as weight of the bike.
Comparing my virtuoso to my boardman i can be within half a mile an hour average over a 24 mile loop and the lighter bike is about 3 kg lighter
This makes interesting reading..
http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/7661/why-arent-tour-de-france-riders-going-any-faster

david k

Hi
I have been cycling for a year now and have made alot of progress over the year. Now my average speed over a 30 miles with alot of hills is 16mph. How dose this compare with other cyclists as i am a lone cyclist i have no one to compare it with

netter than me, i average that on the flat

OP
OP
ianwoodi

ianwoodi

Been out this afternoon covered 33miles and average speed 17.3mph two gould cups on strava so a good day all round rest day tomorrow:becool:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Been out this afternoon covered 33miles and average speed 17.3mph two gould cups on strava so a good day all round rest day tomorrow:becool:
Very hard for me to get KOM`s round here, seems all my routes have been hammered by members of the clubs fast group.
the club secretary is a full minute faster up my local hill , a 5 % average and he can do it at an average of 18 mph uphill.
http://goo.gl/maps/w6xQX

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The main thing I look for is weekly/monthly/annual averages that's really were you should see an improvement. That's where Garmin connect excels you can get that report up for weeks/months/years. Single rides can be influenced by so many factors, I could quite easily say my average is xx mph to work and could post up a few rides to prove it, but I would be lying... Where as the last 30 days takes out the unusual beneficial weather, traffic, legs and hangovers.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Most of the decent segments on my training rides are used for road racing. More chance of me becoming prime minister than swiping a KOM.

Top Bottom