Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Mo, you will be able to come on leaps and bounds. It all just depends on time spent in the saddle. I have faith in you! I like Crieff people. :thumbsup:
Ha, ha.........I take it you used to live around here. I suppose I have improved slightly but I don't think I will ever have the legs/lungs to get all that much better. Afraid average ride speeds of only around 14mph seem pathetic to me compared to the vast majority on here.

If age was as dramatically limiting as many people allude to, then the small percentage of the field made up by the younger riders would make up the largest percentage of the fast end of the results sheet! But this is not the case.
That does surprise me - but I have no reason to doubt what you say.
I know I still feel pretty good - I'd just assumed I'd be doing better when I was younger (can't comment as I didn't cycle in my "peak" years). Maybe that's not the case after all.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Afraid average ride speeds of only around 14mph seem pathetic to me compared to the vast majority on here.

I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Average speeds really don't mean much because of all the variables. The main killers for my avg speeds are elevation and weather conditions. Anyway, I reckon that the vast majority will fall somewhere within one or 2 mph either side of that figure.

Octet

Veteran
Just got back into the saddle after a long period of not cycling. After noticing the flab on the stomach, I thought it was time I started to get some more exercise in. On the flats I can average about 15 mph, up relatively steep hills (subjective, I know) I can manage about 7 mph.

Anyway, hopefully I can bring up my average to 20 mph by the time summer comes around.

Octet

Veteran
Not to be a debbie downer, but I wouldn't bank on such gains! It may be a 33% speed increase but it is much more in terms of power!

That's a point, I didn't think of it like that.
Well, hopefully I shall at least get myself back into shape, and if I get to a 20 mph average then brilliant.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Ha, ha.........I take it you used to live around here. I suppose I have improved slightly but I don't think I will ever have the legs/lungs to get all that much better. Afraid average ride speeds of only around 14mph seem pathetic to me compared to the vast majority on here.
That's a really good speed, it took me to cycle through my first winter to start see good gains. That's got nothing to do with cycling in the cold and was all about being consistently in the saddle. Although I would also add winter riding is tougher buy cannot beat it for effect. If you hibernate away from the bike during the winter you more or less start from scratch again.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Just got back into the saddle after a long period of not cycling. After noticing the flab on the stomach, I thought it was time I started to get some more exercise in. On the flats I can average about 15 mph, up relatively steep hills (subjective, I know) I can manage about 7 mph.

Anyway, hopefully I can bring up my average to 20 mph by the time summer comes around.
Don't go chasing it too hard, 15mph to 20mph is a big leap in % terms without even considering the extra resistance you start to generate the faster you go I would say it is closer to 45-50% increase in your power output

uclown2002

Guru

Good luck with that! 15-20 mph average is a monumental leap in performance. I doubt there are many seasoned riders on here who average 20mph on a decent ride.

I genuinely believe that more time in the saddle will reward you with better fitness and as a result you will become faster. Just as less time in the saddle will eventually make you go slower. I am not going to recommend interval training of course but i would say taking in the odd hill on each ride will speed up the process. Also try keeping your cadence quite high until it becomes second nature. Maybe somewhere between 75-95rpm. I say this because i see a lot of riders churning huge gears and really making hard work for themselves. Efficiency is the key.

What kind of bike do you ride Mo? Road? Hybrid?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I genuinely believe that more time in the saddle will reward you with better fitness and as a result you will become faster. Just as less time in the saddle will eventually make you go slower. I am not going to recommend interval training of course but i would say taking in the odd hill on each ride will speed up the process. Also try keeping your cadence quite high until it becomes second nature. Maybe somewhere between 75-95rpm. I say this because i see a lot of riders churning huge gears and really making hard work for themselves. Efficiency is the key.

What kind of bike do you ride Mo? Road? Hybrid?
Actually have 3 :rolleyes: Strange thing is I find very little difference in speeds no matter which one I use. Best bike is Specialized Ruby but I am inclined to use the Forme Longcliffe most as invariably the roads are a mess and I put mudguards on it. I have been doing a bit of climbing lately even although I find it hard work. Did the Dunning Glen last week and often go up the climb out of Comrie to go along the Langside. Speed is only creeping up very slowly and did my longest ride so far this morning of 52 miles so getting there gradually.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Your aero profile I think makes a big difference to your speed as well. Upright on the hoods will be much slower than low down on the drops. The faster you go the more this matters. Look at a TT rider they stay mega low with their hands close together reducing their frontal area considerably.

Your aero profile I think makes a big difference to your speed as well. Upright on the hoods will be much slower than low down on the drops. The faster you go the more this matters. Look at a TT rider they stay mega low with their hands close together reducing their frontal area considerably.
Absolutely and this is why core work is paramount. Spending 20 minutes, let alone a few hours, in an aero position can be a neck, back, shoulder pain fest! I am so used to riding aero that i now think i get sore when i sit up. :tongue:

Top Bottom