Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The shoot thing about Strava is that often I will be close or even rarely above the current KOM when view by "Today/week/month" and he is KOM from 2010 so you know that it was freakish conditions tailwinds or group riding. Strava has lost a bit of spice for me due to this.

I think the best way to look at it is with something like Garmin connect. It can summarise days, weeks months and years into a lot of useful data. Here is my April to give an idea of an average speed for the month. For me this includes recovery rides and relaxed club runs. Hope it's helpful. The software is free, you just need a Garmin. :thumbsup:

Count:
18 Activities

Distance:
596.65 mi
Time:
34:25:48 h:m:s
Elevation Gain:
10,816 m
Avg Speed:
17.3 mph
Avg HR:
--
Avg Run Cadence:
--
Avg Bike Cadence:
76 rpm
Calories:
41,195 C
Max Avg Speed:
20.6 mph
Max Power -
Max Speed:
58.5 mph
Max Elevation Gain:
2,173 m

Erm......that one was aero tuck and long steep, winding hill. Decent road surface too which for me is the difference between being on the brakes and going with the flow. Best not to think of these things too much. Mess with the head.

Defo don't go home and tell the missus. She won't be as pleased as you think!

Ningishzidda

Go ride round for 100 miles. Make sure there aren't any hills that would get a Tour de France category. Look at the average speeds of the flat stages of the tour. If you are averaging 2/3 of their speed, you're doing OK.

Actually the mini pedro on my shoulder (dressed in all white) has just suggested that i should not encourage such things and strongly advise that no one go faster than they are completely comfortable with. :shy:

gbb

Legendary Member
I have been cycling for a year now and have made alot of progress over the year. Now my average speed over a 30 miles with alot of hills is 16mph. How dose this compare with other cyclists as i am a lone cyclist i have no one to compare it with

How old are you ian ?
16mph average is very respectable, not set the world on fire respectable, but you'll notice you don't get many people overtaking you. That's telling you something in itself....or that's what I found.
At 45, I was generally averaging 16 mph on rolling countryside, it took a huge amount of effort over a season to up it to 18 mph..but beware, if i'm typical of most people, I simply got fed up of busting a gut in the end. I got a huge amount of pleasure and pride in building that extra 2 or 3 mph, but in the end, you realise you just can't keep upping it...we all have a limit. So I sat back and enjoyed it and slowly slid back to 16 mph.
If its important to you...its important. It was to me, or how do you increase fitness without benchmarks to work to ? But only to the point where age, health or you simply realise its no longer that important any more.
At 50, I realised I couldn't keep it going...and sat back. But what went before WAS important.

Ive not broke 40mph this year, Cambs/ Leicester/ Northants/ Rutland needs some longer non technical hills; I have the feeling I could have today but I couldn't use my smallest two cogs.
Back to the OP question my average speed varies alot depending on the circumstances, a flat commute can be 11mph or less, whereas a hilly bumpy is usually in the region of 15-16mph, go figure :wacko: And today my third consecutive ride was 18.4mph and my first TT was 23mph (I havent been faster but I havent done another flat one).

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I think the best way to look at it is with something like Garmin connect. It can summarise days, weeks months and years into a lot of useful data. Here is my April to give an idea of an average speed for the month. For me this includes recovery rides and relaxed club runs. Hope it's helpful. The software is free, you just need a Garmin. :thumbsup:

Count:
18 Activities

Distance:
596.65 mi
Time:
34:25:48 h:m:s
Elevation Gain:
10,816 m
Avg Speed:
17.3 mph
Avg HR:
--
Avg Run Cadence:
--
Avg Bike Cadence:
76 rpm
Calories:
41,195 C
Max Avg Speed:
20.6 mph
Max Power -
Max Speed:
58.5 mph
Max Elevation Gain:
2,173 m

And mine, not bad for an old duffer @@ 48, if only I packed in the fags... lol

pity my climbing is in imperial

Garmin.jpg

Hip Priest

Veteran
My all-time top speed is 34mph. Despite being well placed on most local Strava segs, I am bringing up the rear on any steep descent. I am a cowardly descender. The anti-Pedro!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Out today I averaged 7.13 mph. I wasn't alone. I had GF who is not an experienced cyclist. I was on my heavy, steel, 1987 MTB. I also had trailer with 2 little girls 4 and 2 years old but who will be 5 and 3 in a couple of months.

So My speed, today, doesn't bother me. We had a great ride and a picnic in a children's park (as can be seen from my linky). Some of the wobbly bits in the road were when we had to hang about behind a couple of farm workers moving some 'in calf' heifers.

Top Bottom